Algebraic Topology - Fundamental Group and the Homomorphism induced by h

In summary: Section 52: The Fundamental Group (Topology by Munkres) Munkres writes:- h: X \rightarrow Y is a continuous map that carries the point x_0 of X to the point y_0 of Y.- If f is a loop in X based at x_0 , then the composite h \circ f : I \rightarrow Y is a loop in Y based at y_0 .- The fundamental group is constructed from loops that begin and end at a fixed given point, the so called base point. It h preserves base points then a loop at the base point in X will be mapped to a
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
On page 333 in Section 52: The Fundamental Group (Topology by Munkres) Munkres writes: (see attachement giving Munkres pages 333-334)

"Suppose that [itex] h: X \rightarrow Y [/itex] is a continuous map that carries the point [itex] x_0 [/itex] of X to the point [itex] y_0 [/itex] of Y.

We denote this fact by writing:

[itex] h: ( X, x_0) \rightarrow (Y, y_0) [/itex]

If f is a loop in X based at [itex] x_0 [/itex] , then the composite [itex] h \circ f : I \rightarrow Y [/itex] is a loop in Y based at [itex] y_0 [/itex]"

I am confused as to how this works ... can someone help with the formal mechanics of this.

To illustrate my confusion, consider the following ( see my diagram and text in atttachment "Diagram ..." )

Consider a point [itex] i^' [/itex] [itex] \in [0, 1][/itex] that is mapped by f into [itex] x^' [/itex] i.e. [itex] f( i^{'} ) [/itex] [itex] = x^' [/itex]

Then we would imagine that [itex] i^' [/itex] is mapped by [itex] h \circ f [/itex] into some corresponding point [itex] y^' [/itex] ( see my diagram and text in atttachment "Diagram ..." )

i.e. [itex] h \circ f (i^{'} ) [/itex] [itex] = y^' [/itex]

BUT

[itex] h \circ f (i^{'} ) = h(f(i^{'} )) = h(x^{'} ) [/itex]

But (see above) we only know of h that it maps [itex] x_0 [/itex] into [itex] y_0 [/itex]? {seems to me that is not all we need to know about h?}

Can anyone please clarify this situation - preferably formally and explicitly?

Peter

Attachments

• Diagram - Regarding the homomorphism induced by h.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 243
  • Munkres - Pages 333 - 334 - The Fundamental Group.pdf
    88 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A loop is a continuous map from a circle into a space. If f is a loop in X and if h is continuous then hf is a continuous map from the circle into Y and is therefore a loop.

The fundamental group is constructed from loops that begin and end at a fixed given point, the so called base point. It h preserves base points then a loop at the base point in X will be mapped to a loop at the base point in Y.

One can consistently define where a loop,f, begins and ends by thinking of it as a map of the unit interval into a space whose value is the same at 0 and 1. Then by definition the loop begins and ends at f(0),

Thanks Lavinia

OK so after we are given that base point is preserved, it is continuity that ensures we have a loop in Y

Thanks again

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Thanks Lavinia

OK so after we are given that base point is preserved, it is continuity that ensures we have a loop in Y

Thanks again

Peter

right

Thank you for your question. Algebraic topology is a complex subject, so I will do my best to explain the mechanics of this concept in a clear and concise manner.

First, let's define some terms. A loop in a space X is a continuous map f: I \rightarrow X, where I is the unit interval [0,1]. This means that for every point in the interval, there is a corresponding point in X. The point x_0 in X is the basepoint of the loop, which is the starting and ending point of the loop. Now, let's consider a continuous map h: X \rightarrow Y, where X and Y are topological spaces. This means that for every point in X, there is a corresponding point in Y. We denote this fact by writing h: ( X, x_0) \rightarrow (Y, y_0), where x_0 is the basepoint of X and y_0 is the basepoint of Y.

Now, let's consider the composite map h \circ f: I \rightarrow Y. This means that for every point in the interval I, there is a corresponding point in Y. We can also think of this map as h(f(t)), where t is a point in the interval I. Since f is a loop based at x_0, we know that f(0) = f(1) = x_0. Therefore, h(f(0)) = h(x_0) = y_0 and h(f(1)) = h(x_0) = y_0. This means that h \circ f is also a loop based at y_0 in Y.

To address your confusion, let's consider your example. If we have a point i^{'} \in [0,1] that is mapped by f into x^', then h \circ f (i^{'}) = h(f(i^{'})) = h(x^{'}) = y^'. This is because h maps every point in X to a corresponding point in Y, including the basepoint x_0 to the basepoint y_0. Therefore, we don't need to know any additional information about h to show that h \circ f is a loop based at y_0.

I hope this clarifies the mechanics of this concept for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Algebraic Topology - Fundamental Group and the Homomorphism induced by h

1. What is algebraic topology?

Algebraic topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of topological spaces using algebraic concepts. It combines the techniques of abstract algebra with those of topology to investigate the fundamental properties of spaces that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching and bending.

2. What is the fundamental group in algebraic topology?

The fundamental group is a mathematical tool used in algebraic topology to study the topology of a space. It is a group that captures the essential features of a space by associating each loop in the space with an element of the group. The fundamental group helps to distinguish between spaces that are topologically equivalent and those that are not.

3. What is the homomorphism induced by h in algebraic topology?

In algebraic topology, a homomorphism induced by h is a function between two fundamental groups that preserves the group structure. It is defined as the map that takes each element of one fundamental group to the corresponding element of the other fundamental group. This homomorphism is induced by a map h between the two spaces.

4. How is algebraic topology used in real-world applications?

Algebraic topology has many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, biology, and computer science. It is used to study and classify the topological properties of physical systems, such as fluid flow and electrical circuits. In biology, algebraic topology can be used to analyze the structure of biological networks. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning to study high-dimensional data sets.

5. What are some other important concepts in algebraic topology?

Aside from the fundamental group and homomorphism induced by h, other important concepts in algebraic topology include homotopy, homology, cohomology, and homotopy groups. These concepts are used to study the properties of spaces and how they can be transformed into each other through continuous deformations. They have applications in various areas of mathematics and science, such as differential geometry, differential equations, and robotics.