Algebra: If P(x), degree n, shares n points with x^n, then it is x^n

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the statement: "If a Polynomial P(x) of degree n shares n points with xn, then P(x)=xn." This proof involves making an analogy with the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra (FTA) and analyzing the polynomial P(x)-xn, also known as D(x). By using FTA, it can be shown that D(x) has n zeroes, which contradicts the fact that a polynomial of degree (n-1) can have at most (n-1) zeroes. Therefore, D(x) must equal 0, leading to the conclusion that P(x)=xn. It is also mentioned that the result can be proved without using FTA by setting up a system of equations
Swimmingly!

Homework Statement

Prove that if a Polynomial P(x) of degree n, shares n points with xn, then P(x)=xn.

(a more general proof would be almost the same but for two polynomials, but I think I've proved this if this is proved)

Homework Equations

(FTA) Fundamental Theorem of Algebra - Every P(x) of degree n has at most n roots.

The Attempt at a Solution

An idea was to make an analogy between the proof of FTA and this probem. To use for example the factorization: P(x)= ∏(x-ri) Which when proved valid, proves the FTA too. But I don't understand the proofs given online too well.

But also if we accept FTA, we could also possibly analyze P(x)-xn which shall be called D(x).
D(x) has degree (n-1) since xn-xn=0.
Also since P(x) and xn have n equal points, then D(x) has n zeroes.
But FTA says that the D(x) of degree (n-1) has at most n-1 zeroes. But it has n zeroes. Therefore it must equal 0 itself. P(x)-xn=0 ⇔ P(x)=xn

Is this correct? Is there any simpler way to prove or address this or the more general problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Swimmingly! said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if a Polynomial P(x) of degree n, shares n points with xn, then P(x)=xn.

(a more general proof would be almost the same but for two polynomials, but I think I've proved this if this is proved)

Homework Equations

(FTA) Fundamental Theorem of Algebra - Every P(x) of degree n has at most n roots.

An idea was to make an analogy between the proof of FTA and this probem. To use for example the factorization: P(x)= ∏(x-ri) Which when proved valid, proves the FTA too. But I don't understand the proofs given online too well.

But also if we accept FTA, we could also possibly analyze P(x)-xn which shall be called D(x).
But FTA says that the D(x) of degree (n-1) has at most n-1 zeroes. But it has n zeroes. Therefore it must equal 0 itself. P(x)-xn=0 ⇔ P(x)=xn

Is this correct? Is there any simpler way to prove or address this or the more general problem?

Looking at D(x) is the right way to do it. BTW D(x) doesn't necessarily have degree (n-1). The largest degree it could have is n-1, but it might have less.

Swimmingly! said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You can prove the result without knowing the FTA. If you have
[tex] x_i^n + a_{n-1} x_i^{n-1} + \cdots + a_0 = x_i^n, i = 1,2,\ldots,n\\
\text{where } x_1 < x_2 < \cdots < x_n. [/tex]
you need to show that this gives you
[tex] a_{n-1} = a_{n-2} = \cdots = a_0 = 0.[/tex]
Note that you have a set of n equations in the n unknowns aj, and the coefficient matrix is a Vandermonde matrix.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
You can prove the result without knowing the FTA. If you have
[tex] x_i^n + a_{n-1} x_i^{n-1} + \cdots + a_0 = x_i^n, i = 1,2,\ldots,n\\
\text{where } x_1 < x_2 < \cdots < x_n. [/tex]
you need to show that this gives you
[tex] a_{n-1} = a_{n-2} = \cdots = a_0 = 0.[/tex]
Note that you have a set of n equations in the n unknowns aj, and the coefficient matrix is a Vandermonde matrix. RGV

I've looked the Vandermonde matrix up, but I had never seen it before.
I've set a system which is equivalent to say P(aj)=ajn
If we subtract xn from both sides. We get p(aj)=0 , p of degree n-1
If we set all the equations we get a square matrix. Whose determinant can be taken.
If VC (Vandermonde times coefficients) is a matrix that represents the system of all equations p(aj)=0
Then we get VC=[0] ⇔ |VC|=0
V has no null lines and they're not linearly dependent.(actually one a could be zero)
=> |V|≠0, therefore C ought to be 0 since all it does is make a linear combination of the columns of V.
Or possibly another is to argue that either V is not invertible and |V|=0 which is false, or |V| is invertible and V-1VC=0⇔C=0

PS:I'm a bit tired today, sorry for the trouble with clearly formalizing my thoughts.
Thank you for the help so far.

Related to Algebra: If P(x), degree n, shares n points with x^n, then it is x^n

1. What is the meaning of "degree n" in algebra?

The degree of a polynomial in algebra is the highest exponent of the variable in the polynomial expression. For example, the degree of the polynomial 3x^2 + 2x + 1 is 2.

2. How do you determine if a polynomial P(x) shares n points with x^n?

In order to determine if a polynomial P(x) shares n points with x^n, you can use the fundamental theorem of algebra. This theorem states that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex roots. Therefore, if P(x) and x^n have the same degree and share n points, they must have the same roots and thus be equal.

3. Can a polynomial of degree n share more than n points with x^n?

No, a polynomial of degree n can only share n points with x^n. This is because of the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex roots. Therefore, any polynomial that shares more than n points with x^n must have a degree higher than n.

4. What is the relationship between P(x) and x^n if they share n points?

If P(x) and x^n share n points, then they are equal. This means that they have the same degree and the same coefficients for each term. In other words, they are essentially different ways of representing the same polynomial.

5. How can I use the fact that P(x) shares n points with x^n to simplify problems in algebra?

Knowing that P(x) shares n points with x^n can be useful in simplifying problems in algebra. It allows you to replace P(x) with x^n, which may make the problem easier to solve. Additionally, it can help you to identify patterns and relationships between different polynomial expressions.