Alert Bug Involving Quoted Post

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a member receiving an alert for being quoted in a post, even though they did not post in that thread. The quoted post is actually from a different member and the blame is being shifted to others. It is pointed out that the quoted post was edited out, but the alert was still received. The question of how fossils are usually dated is also brought up.
Drakkith
Mentor
I have an alert telling me that DiracPool quoted me in his post here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...rds-rather-than-reptiles.832153/#post-5226201

But I haven't even posted in that thread. The quoted post is actually SteamKing's, post #3 in the thread.

I blame either @phinds, @OmCheeto, or @Evo and think they should be interrogated immediately. Careful, Phinds bites, OmCheeto's craftier than a fox with a full set of power tools, and Evo's got a banhammer even Greg fears.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kvetch, kvetch, kvetch. Always getting into one kind of trouble or another and now you're trying to blame it on others. You sound like a politician :smile:

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
Careful, Phinds bites, OmCheeto's craftier than a fox with a full set of power tools, and Evo's got a banhammer even Greg fears.
I would have described OmCheeto as "wiser than a snake" but "innocent as a pigent" (a kind of bird).

Yes, I know how to spell "pigeon" but not all of our members do.

Check the posting history. The original post included a quote from a different thread:
Drakkith said:
One question I have is how are these types of fossils usually dated?

mfb said:
Check the posting history. The original post included a quote from a different thread:

Ah okay. So if you quote someone, post, and then edit out the quote, the person still receives an alert. Thanks MFB.

Related to Alert Bug Involving Quoted Post

1. What is an "Alert Bug Involving Quoted Post"?

An "Alert Bug Involving Quoted Post" is a technical issue that occurs on online forums or social media platforms where a user's post is quoted by another user, but the alert system does not properly notify the original poster of the quote.

2. How does this bug affect users?

This bug can affect users by causing them to miss important notifications about their posts being quoted. This can lead to confusion and frustration, especially if the quoted post contains important information or requires a response.

3. What causes this bug to occur?

This bug can occur due to a variety of reasons, including software glitches, coding errors, or server issues. It may also be a result of updates or changes made to the platform's alert system.

4. Is there a way to fix this bug?

Yes, this bug can be fixed by the platform's developers through identifying and addressing the root cause of the issue. It may require updates to the platform's software or code to prevent it from happening in the future.

5. How can users report this bug?

Users can report this bug by contacting the platform's support team or submitting a bug report through the platform's designated channels. They can also report it to other users, such as moderators or administrators, who can then escalate the issue to the appropriate parties.