Alcubierre Drive Direction: How Does Craft Move?

In summary, Miguel Alcubierre explained that the negative energy is located around the circumference of the craft in a toroid. He also noted that the side profile view of the negative energy region looks to be slightly forward of center, as defined by the x-y coordinate grid. This may explain how the craft decides which way to move, since at first glance the configuration seemed to be perfectly symmetrical forward and back. However, the horizon problem still exists if the ship is superluminal, and Dr. White's paper addresses this issue.
Davephaelon
I was watching an excellent presentation of the theory of the Alcubierre warp given by Miguel Alcubierre himself at the 2017 Starship Congress (link below). At the 43:55 mark Alcubierre explains that the negative energy is located around the circumference of the craft in a toroid. I always thought that it was located at the rear of the craft where spacetime is expanded, so this was a surprise. But that made me wonder how does the craft decide which way to move, since at first glance the configuration seemed to be perfectly symmetrical forward and back. I did, however, notice that in the diagram on the screen, (at 43:55), the side profile view of the negative energy region looks to be slightly forward of center, as defined by the x-y coordinate grid. So maybe that's the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
At 47:45, he goes into the "horizon" problem, saying you can't put the negative energy in front of the ship from inside the ship. The diagram shows the negative energy expanding spacetime in the front and the spacetime contracting behind the ship, from undisclosed reasoning. How that configuration arises, after like you said he states the negative energy is needed symmetrically around the ships sides, is beyond me. My laymen's two cents seems to think the actual motion of the ship through space is amplified by the warp bubble, and again the unsolved horizon problem means you'd have to have an exterior preexisting warp field to travel through since there is no known way to project that warp field from the ship utilizing it.

jerromyjon, Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure the horizon problem only occurs if the ship is superluminal, but will have to check up on that. I'm tempted to write to Harold "Sonny" White about this issue of the spacetime expanding behind the ship, even though the negative energy material is located around the circumference of the ship. I'm also wondering if this single toroidal region of negative material is also responsible for the contraction of space forward of the ship, which admittedly doesn't make sense to me as a layperson, as such material is only supposed to expand spacetime. I suspect I need to really knuckle down and understand the metric equations for this warp system before I can appreciate how it actually works.

Some time ago, probably several years, I had printed out Dr. Harold White's "Warp Field Mechanics 101" paper. I finally found it, and to my delight he addresses exactly the problem of which direction the craft starts to move in from a stationary start. The argument in the paper is somewhat technical, but the gist of it is if the craft already has a direction of motion from a conventional rocket engine, then it will select that direction when the warp field is turned on.

Likes jerromyjon
Davephaelon said:
The argument in the paper is somewhat technical, but the gist of it is if the craft already has a direction of motion from a conventional rocket engine, then it will select that direction when the warp field is turned on.

But the initial motion is frame-dependent and in the rest frame of the ship there is no motion at all.

Related to Alcubierre Drive Direction: How Does Craft Move?

1. How does the Alcubierre Drive work?

The Alcubierre Drive is a theoretical concept that proposes using negative energy to warp the fabric of spacetime around a spacecraft, allowing it to travel faster than the speed of light. This creates a bubble of spacetime around the craft, which moves the craft through space instead of the craft itself moving.

2. Can the Alcubierre Drive be used for interstellar travel?

While the Alcubierre Drive is a fascinating concept, it is currently only a theoretical idea and has not been proven to be possible. It is also currently not known if negative energy, which is required for the drive to work, even exists.

3. How fast can a spacecraft using the Alcubierre Drive travel?

Theoretically, a spacecraft using the Alcubierre Drive could travel faster than the speed of light. However, this would require an immense amount of negative energy and is currently not known to be possible.

4. How is the direction of the craft controlled while using the Alcubierre Drive?

The direction of the craft can be controlled by adjusting the shape and intensity of the bubble of warped spacetime around the craft. By changing the shape of the bubble, the craft can be steered in different directions.

5. Are there any potential negative effects of using the Alcubierre Drive?

Since the Alcubierre Drive is still a theoretical concept, it is not fully understood what potential negative effects it could have on the fabric of spacetime and the surrounding environment. It is also not known if it would have any negative effects on the human body, as it would be traveling at incredibly high speeds.