Aircraft Materials: Jumbo Jets 787, A380 | Get Info in 1 Month

In summary, the author recommends that you research materials used in aircraft on the internet or at the library. They recommend the website www.asminternational.org as a resource. They also recommend looking at the websites of manufacturers of aircraft engines and materials.
perfectz
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I have to present a paper on Aircraft materials and I have only one month left to prepare...
I've split my paper into 3 parts and for the third aspect,I need to know the material details of Jumbo Jets like 787, A380.
The books I have are old and I am poor in internet searching...
Please give me some sites......
please guys...
Some really good sites

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do a search for MIL-HDBK-5J, it has descriptions and material properties for many materials used in aerospace including exotic Auminum Alloys and Titanium Alloys. The PDF can be downloaded for free at some sites.

As for what materials those specific airplanes are made of, you're on your own. I'm sure many small articles are readily available on the internet.

... and quit with the begging. Begging like that usually means the project has been put off to the last possible second and no "real" effort has been put into finding information either on the internet or at the library.

Visit the Airbus and Boeing websites.

And various materials societies ASM International, AIAA, SAE, TMS have resources on aluminum alloys and composites.

For enginees look at the thread on Rolls Royce Trent Engine Technology, and visit RR's site and GE's site.

Manufacturers also put out press releases on their materials related to Aviation and Aerospace.

Try -

http://www.compositesworld.com/hpc/issues/2004/March/412

http://www2.dupont.com/Vespel/en_US/NewsEvents/article20070319.html

If one is involved in Materials Science/Engineering, I highly recommend an inexpensive student membership in ASM International, which has a joint student membership with The Metallurgical Society, TMS.
See - www.asminternational.org

The membership will get you access to Advanced Materials & Processes, which is a free journal with the membership. It has special editions on materials in specific industries, e.g. Aerospace, Automotive, Marine or specials particular materials like Al alloys, Cu alloys, Steels, . . . .

For this project see Advanced Materials & Processes:

Aluminum Alloy Development for the Airbus A380 — PART 2
Ph. Lequeu, Ph. Lassince (Alcan Rhenalu, Issoire, France)
T. Warner (Alcan CRV, Voreppe, France)
AM&P 165(7) 41-44 Jul 2007

Aluminum Alloy Development for the Airbus A380 — PART 1
Ph. Lequeu, Ph. Lassince (Alcan Rhenalu, Issoire, France)
T. Warner (Alcan CRV, Voreppe, France)
AM&P 165(6)33-35 Jun 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
The mil handbook is now MMPDS. I don't think you'll find anything under the handbook title any more.

FredGarvin said:
The mil handbook is now MMPDS. I don't think you'll find anything under the handbook title any more.

The MIL-HDBK-5J can still be downloaded (for free). MMPDS costs money AFAIK, since it is being supported by NIST now.

Link: http://www.weibull.com/mil_std/mil_hdbk_5j.pdf

So that's where they moved it to. I remember a ways back when the switch was made and mil handbook was available for free. Then it disappeared. MMPDS was free for a little while. That's why I have only the -01 copy. They are identical though. I have yet to find any differences. Thanks for the link.

Related to Aircraft Materials: Jumbo Jets 787, A380 | Get Info in 1 Month

1. What are the most common materials used in the construction of jumbo jets like the 787 and A380?

The majority of materials used in the construction of jumbo jets are lightweight metals, such as aluminum alloys, titanium, and composites, such as carbon fiber reinforced polymers.

2. How do these materials contribute to the overall performance and safety of the aircraft?

The lightweight materials used in jumbo jets help to reduce the overall weight of the aircraft, making it more fuel efficient and allowing for longer flight ranges. The strength and durability of these materials also contribute to the safety of the aircraft, as they are able to withstand the stresses of flight and maintain structural integrity.

3. Are there any new or innovative materials being used in the construction of jumbo jets?

Yes, researchers and engineers are constantly developing and testing new materials for use in aircraft construction. Some examples include ceramic matrix composites, which offer higher strength and heat resistance, and additive manufacturing techniques, which allow for more complex and lightweight designs.

4. How is the choice of materials determined for different components of the aircraft, such as the fuselage, wings, and engines?

The choice of materials for different components of the aircraft is based on a variety of factors, including strength, weight, cost, and the specific requirements of each part. For example, the wings may require a different material than the fuselage in order to withstand different stresses and forces.

5. Are there any environmental concerns related to the use of materials in aircraft construction?

Yes, the production and use of certain materials in aircraft construction can have environmental impacts, such as carbon emissions and waste. However, efforts are being made to develop more sustainable materials and manufacturing processes for the aviation industry.