Automotive Light Bulbs - Engineering Level Info

In summary, the author is looking for information about automotive lightbulbs, but is having difficulty finding it. There is no complete information available on the subject, and the author would be grateful for help.
Kristaps
Hello,

I'm in 4.th course studying automotive engineering, and there are some things that I REALLY
need to know about, but I can't find any useful and COMPLETE information about it - I have searched all over the internet, but there has no ENGINEER level information.
I really need help here from people who knows A LOT about it, so here are the questions (maybe you have some books exactly about it ar something else):

1.) ALL Automotive light bulb coating materials and compositions (COMPLETE, FULL DESCRIPTION);
2.) ALL Automotive light bulb construction materials and compositions (COMPLETE, FULL DESCRIPTION);
3.) ALL Automotive light bulb fill gas compositions (COMPLETE, FULL DESCRIPTION);

Need info as much as possible!

I would be SOOO thankful, if someone could help me!

Thank you guys and sorry for my bad english!

Physics news on Phys.org
Seen that the automotive light bulk market is very competitive, it would be surprising if the data you were seeking was in the public domain. The fittings are certainly specified, the composition, coatings, gas mixtures and materials remain tightly held.
Your best bet might be to see if there is any TUV or SAE testing data available. Also, as a student, you might be able to reach out to one of the suppliers such as Bosch to see whether they would help.

Yeah, that's a bit problem, that there's practically no precise information on these questions available. I was thinking earlier about contacting to automotive bulb manufacturers, but then decided not to - i mean c'mon, as you mentioned before, why would they give me any info, even if I'm a student - there are many reasons why they would not do that.

I have compiled (about 50 pages till now) main information about these three topics out of all the info I could find in various books, documents, patents and internet, basically studied-through 100+ documents, and still could'nt find ALL I need.

But anyway big thanks for response, I appreciate that.

Related to Automotive Light Bulbs - Engineering Level Info

1. What are the different types of automotive light bulbs?

There are three main types of automotive light bulbs: halogen, LED, and HID (high-intensity discharge). Halogen bulbs are the most commonly used and are relatively inexpensive. LED bulbs are more energy-efficient and have a longer lifespan. HID bulbs produce a brighter light, but are more expensive and require a ballast to operate.

2. How do halogen bulbs work?

Halogen bulbs work by passing an electric current through a tungsten filament, which heats up and produces light. The inside of the bulb is filled with halogen gas, which helps to prevent the tungsten from burning out and allows the bulb to last longer.

3. What are the benefits of using LED bulbs in automotive lighting?

LED bulbs have several benefits, including being more energy-efficient and having a longer lifespan than halogen bulbs. They also produce a brighter and more focused light, making them ideal for headlights. Additionally, LED bulbs do not contain any toxic materials, making them more environmentally friendly.

4. Can HID bulbs be used as a direct replacement for halogen bulbs?

No, HID bulbs cannot be used as a direct replacement for halogen bulbs. They require a ballast to operate, which regulates the voltage and provides the necessary power for the bulb. Additionally, HID bulbs have a different base and require modifications to the vehicle's wiring system.

5. How do you determine the correct wattage for an automotive light bulb?

The wattage of an automotive light bulb is determined by the amount of power it requires to produce a certain amount of light. It is recommended to use the wattage specified by the manufacturer for your specific vehicle. Using a bulb with a higher wattage can cause damage to the vehicle's wiring and may be illegal in some areas.