Air Resistance of coffee filter

In summary, the coffee filters fall faster the taller the building, and the stack will take 9.4 seconds to hit the ground.
lebprince

Homework Statement

You drop a single coffee filter of mass 1.4 grams from a very tall building, and it takes 47 seconds to reach the ground. In a small fraction of that time the coffee filter reached terminal speed.

a) What was the upward force of the air resistance while the coffee filter was falling at terminal speed?

b) Next you drop a stack of 5 of these coffee filters. What was the upward force of the air resistance while this stack of coffee filter was falling at terminal speed?

c) Again assuming again that the stack reaches terminal speed very quickly, about how long will the stack of coffee filters take to hit the ground? (Hint: Consider the relation between speed and the force of air resistance.)

The Attempt at a Solution

i was able to get a and b right but part c am having problems with...Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'Hint' asks you to consider the relation between speed and the force of air resistance. What have you learned about this relationship between F_drag and v?

PhanthomJay said:
The 'Hint' asks you to consider the relation between speed and the force of air resistance. What have you learned about this relationship between F_drag and v?

with the instructor we have i haven't learned anything about the relationship between F drag and V...all my homework i have to dig my way out of it. I assume i should be using the formula F= k.v , so with the increase of V , F will increase. Thats about it

lebprince said:
with the instructor we have i haven't learned anything about the relationship between F drag and V...all my homework i have to dig my way out of it. I assume i should be using the formula F= k.v , so with the increase of V , F will increase. Thats about it
Well, that's all right, problem is, sometimes the force of air resistance varies linearly with the speed (F=kv,as you have noted, especially for small light objects or particles at low speeds), and sometimes the relationship is quadratic (F=kv^2, especially for heavier objects with higher speeds). You should have been given the relationship, or perhaps determined it from lab experiments. I believe the relationship betwen force and speed , for coffee filters, is quadratic.

In either case, let's assume the linear F=kv case for the 5 stacked filters. Since they weigh 5 times more than the single filter, and since you have detremined that the drag force at terminal velocity is 5 times greater than the drag force on the single filter, by how much would the terminal velocity increase? By how much would the time to fall decrease? What if F=kv^2, how would this change the results? (Note that k is a constant for the single or multiple filters cases, since k depends on shape, air density, and surface area exposed to the air, none of which change in either case).

Thanks for all ur help there...well since the drag force is 5 times more the 5 filters together i would assume that V would be increased by 5 and the time would decrease by 5 so if i would to divide 47 sec by 5 i would get 9.4s which is giving me a wrong answer.

hey buddy i figured it out...i think as you said its a quadratic so instead of dividing by 5 i divided by the sqrt of 5 and got the right answer thanks for all ur help.

Related to Air Resistance of coffee filter

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object, creating a force in the opposite direction of motion.

2. How does the air resistance of a coffee filter affect its fall?

The air resistance of a coffee filter increases as it falls due to an increase in velocity. This leads to a decrease in its acceleration, resulting in a slower fall compared to an object with less air resistance, such as a rock.

3. What factors influence the air resistance of a coffee filter?

The air resistance of a coffee filter is affected by its surface area, shape, and velocity. A larger surface area and irregular shape will result in a higher air resistance, while a higher velocity will increase the air resistance as well.

4. How does the air resistance of a coffee filter compare to other objects?

The air resistance of a coffee filter is relatively low compared to other objects due to its lightweight and thin structure. Objects with larger surface area and irregular shapes, such as parachutes, experience much higher air resistance.

5. Can air resistance be reduced for a falling coffee filter?

Yes, air resistance can be reduced for a falling coffee filter by decreasing its surface area and streamlining its shape. This can be achieved by folding the filter or using a more aerodynamic design. Additionally, reducing the velocity of the falling filter will also decrease the air resistance.