Air resistance, changing position in free fall?

In summary: In general, with a sufficiently large fan and sufficiently large dropping distance, stick 1 will hit the ground first, but with a smaller fan and shorter dropping distance, stick 2 will hit the ground first.
Henrybar
Let's say that I have a stick with weight evenly distributed throughout. I attach a fan to one end of the stick, then balance it from its new centre of mass. I measure the distance from the ground to the stick then drop it. The stick tilts up towards the side generating more air resistance (fan attached) and lands on the side with no fan first. This is a hypothetical situation, so the numeric values for mass, surface area, distance from ground, air pressure, and weight are those which make this motion possible.

Compare this to an identical stick with no fan attached. I drop the stick from the same distance, under the same conditions, and from its centre of mass. While the stick is falling, it maintains its horizontal position unlike the other stick; it lands horizontally as well.

Shouldn't stick 1 touch the ground first?
- Assume that air resistance isn't great enough that it cancel out this effect and instead slows it down

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think the non-fan side of stick 1 would hit the ground first?

If the fan is rotating, blowing air, then the stick is going to be constantly rotating. In fact, if the fan is blowing perfectly perpendicular to the stick, then the force from the fan will create torque and won't affect the linear velocity of the stick at all (granted, just having the fan on the stick probably increases air drag to some extent, so the stick with the fan will probably fall at least a little slower, but not because of the fan blowing).

I guess the laws of probability dictate that the rotating stick will have one end lower than the center of mass, and therefore one end of the rotating stick should hit the ground before the horizontal stick.

BobG said:
What makes you think the non-fan side of stick 1 would hit the ground first?

If the fan is rotating, blowing air, then the stick is going to be constantly rotating. In fact, if the fan is blowing perfectly perpendicular to the stick, then the force from the fan will create torque and won't affect the linear velocity of the stick at all (granted, just having the fan on the stick probably increases air drag to some extent, so the stick with the fan will probably fall at least a little slower, but not because of the fan blowing).

I guess the laws of probability dictate that the rotating stick will have one end lower than the center of mass, and therefore one end of the rotating stick should hit the ground before the horizontal stick.

"Fan" as in a manual fan, not a fan that rotates and blows air.

Henrybar said:
Let's say that I have a stick with weight evenly distributed throughout. I attach a fan to one end of the stick, then balance it from its new centre of mass. I measure the distance from the ground to the stick then drop it. The stick tilts up towards the side generating more air resistance (fan attached) and lands on the side with no fan first.
Here you posit a force which retards the acceleration of the stick, granted, an asymmetric force, but a force non-the-less.

Henrybar said:
- Assume that air resistance isn't great enough that it cancel out this effect and instead slows it down
Here you state the the force which retards the acceleration of the stick should be neglected.

So you're asking what would happen in a situation given a force which we are supposed to neglect.

Henrybar said:
"Fan" as in a manual fan, not a fan that rotates and blows air.
Then stick 1 hits the ground first.

The center of mass of each should hit the ground at the same time. By rotating to a vertical position, one end of stick 1 will be lower than its center of mass and will hit first.

The same effect that induces rotation also slows the fall of the center of mass, as both come from an upwards force on the fan.

There is a region in parameter space where object 1 hits the ground first (in general, a low-mass, high air drag fan and a very small dropping distance), but it is also possible (and more realistic) to make stick 2 hit the ground first.

Related to Air resistance, changing position in free fall?

What is air resistance?

Air resistance is the force that acts against the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the air particles colliding with the surface of the object and slowing it down.

How does air resistance affect objects in free fall?

Air resistance can significantly impact the motion of objects in free fall. As an object falls through the air, it will experience an upward force from air resistance that will decrease its acceleration and ultimately limit its maximum velocity.

Can air resistance be ignored in free fall?

In most cases, air resistance cannot be ignored in free fall. However, for objects with small surface areas and high densities, such as a bowling ball, the effects of air resistance may be negligible.

How does changing position affect air resistance in free fall?

The position of an object in free fall can greatly affect the amount of air resistance it experiences. Objects with a larger surface area, like a sheet of paper, will experience more air resistance when falling horizontally compared to vertically.

Can air resistance ever increase an object's speed in free fall?

No, air resistance will always act against the motion of an object in free fall. As an object falls, the force of air resistance will increase until it becomes equal and opposite to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.