Air conditioner fan not starting

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an air conditioner fan not starting. The voltage between the brown and black wires is 0 V, indicating a problem. The indoor unit is not sending a signal to turn the fan on. Connecting the brown and red wires together causes the circuit breaker to trip, possibly due to inrush current. The fan and capacitor have been tested separately and are not faulty. It is suggested that there may be a relay or something controlling the fan that is not providing power to the brown wire. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a bad control wire, controller, or sensor. A test was conducted with the fan powered separately, but it is unclear what voltage was
TheRedDevil18
I have a problem with my air conditioner fan not starting. As seen from the schematic below, when I test for voltage between the brown and black wires, I get 0 V (this is the problem). The indoor unit isn't sending the control signal to turn the fan on. The compressor powers on fine though. When I connect the brown and red wires together (since red is giving power fine), the circuit breaker trips, maybe too much inrush current since motor and compressor turn on together?

I then powered the fan separately and it works (fan or capacitor is not faulty)

Could there be a relay or something controlling the fan that's not giving power from brown cable?

Any ideas?

IMG_20190226_141349.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190226_141349.jpg
    IMG_20190226_141349.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 506
Engineering news on Phys.org
TheRedDevil18 said:
Just because they start you can't be sure jet.

There is no fuse on the brown line, but I'm pretty sure there should be one somewhere (just not in the outdoor unit). Try to find it first and check if it is still OK or not.

TheRedDevil18 said:
I have a problem with my air conditioner fan not starting. As seen from the schematic below, when I test for voltage between the brown and black wires, I get 0 V (this is the problem). The indoor unit isn't sending the control signal to turn the fan on...

Could there be a relay or something controlling the fan that's not giving power from brown cable?
Yes. Do you have a wiring diagram for the indoor unit's controller? Can you verify the signal is being sent to the brown wire at the unit? Can you verify the continuity of the brown wire?

This issue may be as simple as a bad control wire or it may be a lot more complicated. The fan may not always run, but might be controlled based on refrigerant pressure, and you may have a bad controller or sensor.

Where are you ?
upload_2019-2-26_14-7-54.png

TheRedDevil18 said:
What did you use to power the fan in that test? 220 or 115 volts?

Have you checked that all three of its wires show at least a few megohms to ground its metal frame ?

Were its red wire internally shorted to frame
and your test setup hooked red to a grounded power conductor (neutral in USA) and black to "hot"
it'd explain your observations
and there'll be an open in the supply to brown wire - fuse or melted relay contact

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-26_14-7-54.png
    upload_2019-2-26_14-7-54.png
    20 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

Related to Air conditioner fan not starting

1. Why is my air conditioner fan not starting?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a malfunctioning thermostat, a blown fuse, a faulty capacitor, or a problem with the fan motor itself. It is best to consult a professional for a proper diagnosis.

2. How can I troubleshoot my air conditioner fan not starting?

You can check the thermostat settings, replace the fuse, and inspect the capacitor for any signs of damage. You can also try spinning the fan blades manually to see if that gets it started. If none of these solutions work, it is best to call a technician.

3. Can a dirty air filter cause the fan to not start?

Yes, a dirty air filter can restrict airflow and cause the fan motor to overheat, leading to it not starting. It is important to regularly clean or replace the air filter to avoid this issue.

4. Is it dangerous to try and fix the air conditioner fan myself?

It is not recommended to try and fix the air conditioner fan yourself unless you have the necessary knowledge and experience. Working with electrical components can be dangerous, and it is best to leave it to a professional technician.

5. How often should I have my air conditioner serviced to prevent fan issues?

It is recommended to have your air conditioner serviced at least once a year to prevent any potential issues with the fan or other components. Regular maintenance can help identify and fix any problems before they become major issues.