After help understanding black drop effect

• Thread starter aussieskywatch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop
In summary, the conversation is about the black drop effect observed during the transit of Venus and other celestial events. The speaker is questioning whether poor optical equipment or atmosphere can be blamed for this effect, and is seeking help from the forum to understand if gravity can bend light at different rates for different wavelengths. They also ask if there has been any combined efforts to image the last transit of Venus using different wavelengths and equipment. The speaker also notes that they are an amateur astronomer and have limited understanding so far.
aussieskywatch
Good evening every one, first post in this forum and only an amateur astronomer here so please be kind.
My question relates to the observable black drop effect, when watching the transit of Venus, at first when i looked up what might cause this effect the answer seamed to simply to be poor optical equipment that was to blame, however i believer the black drop effect has been witnessed in more recent times with some of the more high tech observing tools available to us, including from outer space where local atmosphere could be ruled out as a contributing factor.
The other reason i am inclined to disbelieve that atmosphere is a large contributing factor is that the black drop is also witnessed during a transit or mercury, a planet as i am lead to understand, that has little to no atmosphere.
Here is where I'm asking fro the forums help
1) Does a black drop effect take place during an annular eclipse?
2) Does anyone know of and combined efforts to image the last transit of Venus in varied wavelengths using different pieces of equipment that were set to image at the same time or of multi-spectrum imaging systems that could process different wavelengths at the same time through the same piece of equipment?
3) the reason for my question is to investigate if gravity bends light, which it is already known to do, but at varied rates for different wavelengths of the light spectrum?

Looking forward to any responses that might help me understand this a little bit more

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That link was where i got most of my current understanding from mathman, still quite limited on answers and doesn't really help as much as I was hoping it would.
thank you for your help though

Related to After help understanding black drop effect

What is the black drop effect?

The black drop effect is an optical phenomenon that occurs during the transit of Venus or Mercury in front of the sun. It appears as a dark teardrop-shaped area between the planet and the sun's edge, making it difficult to accurately measure the planet's position and size.

What causes the black drop effect?

The black drop effect is caused by a combination of factors, including the diffraction of light as it passes through Earth's atmosphere, the curvature of the planet's surface, and the limitations of early telescope technology.

How is the black drop effect related to the transit of Venus or Mercury?

The black drop effect only occurs during the transit of Venus or Mercury because these are the only two planets that can pass directly between Earth and the sun as seen from our perspective. Other planets do not cause this effect because they do not appear to cross directly in front of the sun.

Why is understanding the black drop effect important for scientists?

Understanding the black drop effect is important for scientists because it can affect the accuracy of measurements and calculations related to the transit of Venus or Mercury. In the past, scientists have used this effect to determine the size of the solar system and the distance between the Earth and the sun.

Is the black drop effect still relevant in modern scientific research?

While the black drop effect is not as significant as it once was, it is still relevant in modern scientific research. With advanced technology and techniques, scientists are now able to more accurately measure the transit of Venus or Mercury without the interference of the black drop effect. However, it remains an interesting and important phenomenon to study and understand.