How Thick Should Composite Panels Be to Replace Aluminum in Structural Designs?

In summary, a summer job is being employed to look into the use of composite paneling in place of sheet aluminum with stiffeners. The required thickness of composite wall paneling is to be determined depending on the material properties of the panel. If the structure is designed for a distributed load of 200 psf, a program like ANSYS can be used.
M.D.G
For a summer job I am employed to look into the use of composite paneling in place of sheet aluminum with stiffeners. I am suppose to find the required thickness of composite wall paneling in order to make a structure such as the one attached. Obviously it will depending on the material properties of the panel, however assuming I know those, do you have any ideas on how I would go about this. I would be designing for a distributed load of 200 psf. I could do this if it was a uniformly distributed load or point load and a beam, but I am having trouble modeling this structure. For example I have no clue what this objects moment of inertia is, which is required. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 515-PE-A3 Model Aftwall.pdf
    12.5 KB · Views: 247
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just to update this, I have done some searching on the forum about the use of FEM. Would the best course of action to solving this be to model the part in a program like ANSYS? I know the distributed load and the part dimensions (except for the thickness, this is what I am trying to calculate) Any recommenatons on programs or tutorial for software that would be good for this application would be much appreciated.

M.D.G said:
For a summer job I am employed to look into the use of composite paneling in place of sheet aluminum with stiffeners. I am suppose to find the required thickness of composite wall paneling in order to make a structure such as the one attached. Obviously it will depending on the material properties of the panel, however assuming I know those, do you have any ideas on how I would go about this. I would be designing for a distributed load of 200 psf. I could do this if it was a uniformly distributed load or point load and a beam, but I am having trouble modeling this structure. For example I have no clue what this objects moment of inertia is, which is required. Any ideas?

hello there,
maybe i can help you. first make it clear about the use of that panel you are talking about like what kind of SUPPOSED loads are going to act on it. for example, a Masonary wall which is constantly subjected to wind pressures apart from the active Earth pressure it has to bear.

after getting at least the nature of the loads, you can approach the designing by either using a software or calculating it manually. but mostly do software after at least you have tried to get some basic calculations.

Softwares for the same are ANSYS, COSMOWORKS, NX etc.

M I of the object completely depends on the section. Try to analyse diff sections and get an optimum one. the formulations for the same are easily available on the net

Related to How Thick Should Composite Panels Be to Replace Aluminum in Structural Designs?

What is Aft Wall Structural Analysis?

Aft Wall Structural Analysis is a method used to assess the structural integrity and strength of the aft wall, or the rear wall, of a structure. This analysis is crucial in ensuring that the aft wall can withstand various forces and loads without compromising the overall stability of the structure.

Why is Aft Wall Structural Analysis important?

Aft Wall Structural Analysis is important because the aft wall is a critical component of a structure and is responsible for supporting and distributing the weight and forces acting on the structure. Without proper analysis and design, the aft wall may fail, leading to structural failure and potential safety hazards.

What factors are considered in Aft Wall Structural Analysis?

Aft Wall Structural Analysis takes into account various factors such as material properties, structural design, loading conditions, and environmental factors. It also considers the structural connections between the aft wall and other components of the structure.

What methods are used in Aft Wall Structural Analysis?

Aft Wall Structural Analysis can be performed using analytical methods such as hand calculations or computer-aided design (CAD) software. It may also involve physical testing and simulations to validate the structural design and performance.

Who performs Aft Wall Structural Analysis?

Aft Wall Structural Analysis is typically conducted by structural engineers or scientists who specialize in structural analysis and design. They have the knowledge and expertise to accurately assess the structural integrity of the aft wall and make recommendations for design improvements if necessary.