Afraid of not having a physics job :(

• Thread starter Ahmed Hassan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Physics
In summary, the conversation includes a person seeking advice on pursuing a physics major and becoming a researcher/scientist. They express concern about the job market for research physicists and their family's expectation for them to study pharmacy. The advice given is to pursue what they are passionate about but also broaden their skills for potential job opportunities. Additionally, geographical location can also play a role in job availability for physicists.
Ahmed Hassan
Hello everyone !
I am 18 years old boy who want to study physics major but I am afraid of not having a job into physics , I want to be a researcher /scientist , I am totally passionate about the physics and I have a very good mathematical skills , What is your advice for me .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you should not count on a job as a research physicist. These are highly competitive, and it would be a mistake to tie your happiness into getting that job, just as it would be a mistake to tie your happiness to being an astronaut, or acrobat, or movie star, or...

Likes Ahmed Hassan
"fear is the mind killer"

Likes Hypercube, Wminus, Dr. Courtney and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm afraid you should not count on a job as a research physicist. These are highly competitive, and it would be a mistake to tie your happiness into getting that job, just as it would be a mistake to tie your happiness to being an astronaut, or acrobat, or movie star, or...
I think it is a mistake to tie my happiness to it , My family has a pharmaceutical company and I can easily wort with them , they want me to study a pharmacy degree but i have no passion or any interest in biological sciences , the thing is that i don't find my self in any other sciences but physics

Ahmed Hassan said:
I think it is a mistake to tie my happiness to it , My family has a pharmaceutical company and I can easily wort with them , they want me to study a pharmacy degree but i have no passion or any interest in biological sciences , the thing is that i don't find my self in any other sciences but physics
At least you could give more information about your situation as done.

If no "passion" for biological sciences, and interest is in Physics and you WANT to be a "researcher", then consider making plans to study Engineering and be able to be a "developer" or "designer". Also, what kind of Engineer, might you be? Could you make plans to study Chemical Engineering? Then maybe you might still be able to work with or for your family, since producing pharmaceutical items can still require engineering expertise.

Likes CalcNerd
Ahmed Hassan said:
Hello everyone !
I am 18 years old boy who want to study physics major but I am afraid of not having a job into physics , I want to be a researcher /scientist , I am totally passionate about the physics and I have a very good mathematical skills , What is your advice for me .

First of all, there is no guarantee of ANY job in ANY fields.

What you should always do, and I tell this to ALL my students, is that pursue what you want to pursue, but at the SAME TIME, broaden your horizons and your skills so that in case what you want to do does not work out, you have something else to fall back on! This means that even if you have the ambition of being a string theorist, you do not dismiss computer programming classes, or even do experimental research work to learn how to fabricate thin films. In other words, if and when the opportunity arises, do work that are not strictly within the narrow field of interest. You just never know if the skills that you acquire from these other areas might just be the one that land you the job later on.

However, more importantly, where you are in this world also matters in gaining such employment. An outstanding physicist in the field of cosmology may be much sought after in Europe, China, Japan, N. America, etc... but he/she will have a tougher time finding a job in, say, Sudan or Namibia.

So there is a lot of variables in landing a job that you want. Most of us who are lucky enough to work as physicists can never predict the exact path that we are on now. A lot of things can happen and can change. As they say, Life Happens While You Are Making Plans.

Zz.

Likes Kevodaboss, russ_watters, Dr. Courtney and 2 others

Related to Afraid of not having a physics job :(

1. How common is it for physics graduates to not find a job in their field?

Unfortunately, it is a common concern for physics graduates to struggle to find a job in their field. According to a study by the American Institute of Physics, only about 40% of physics bachelor's degree recipients find employment in physics-related fields.

2. Will a degree in physics limit my job opportunities?

No, a degree in physics can open up a wide range of job opportunities. Physics graduates possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills that are highly valued in various industries such as finance, engineering, and data science.

3. Should I be worried about job prospects if I don't have a PhD in physics?

While having a PhD in physics can certainly open up more specialized job opportunities, it is not necessary for all physics-related jobs. Many companies value the skills and knowledge gained from a bachelor's or master's degree in physics and offer a variety of job opportunities for graduates.

4. How can I increase my chances of finding a physics job?

One way to increase your chances of finding a physics job is to gain relevant experience through internships or research projects during your studies. Networking with professionals in the field and staying updated on job postings can also help in securing a job in physics.

5. Is it possible to switch to a career outside of physics after studying it?

Absolutely! The skills and knowledge gained from studying physics can be applied to a wide range of industries and careers. Many physics graduates go on to have successful careers in fields such as data analysis, finance, and software development.