Aerospace project for a beginner

In summary, the individual is interested in working on a small project related to design, specifically in the field of Aerospace Engineering. They are unsure of where to start and are seeking ideas and suggestions. They are particularly interested in rockets, spacecraft, and propulsion systems. They are currently studying math and physics and are open to any ideas, but they are still in the early stages of their major. They have looked into nozzle designs and aerodynamics and are interested in exploring these topics further. They are also considering factors such as stress analysis, fluid flow, and vibrations in their project.
justPAB
Hi guy, I'm interested on working on a new project. Something small, with some design, for a beginner. I'm majoring in Aerospace Engineering and I want some "solo" experience and I don't know where to start. I like rockets, and space craft. I enjoy aircraft, but I'm more intrigued by out of Earth flight. Any ideas on what I could start working on? I mean, I'm not sure if I want to work on a " spacecraft " or start thinking of a propulsion system for a spacecraft . Any ideas are welcome, but again, I'm just starting my major, I'm getting into the math and physics now, I still need more courses to take before I actually start my "major" concentration.

Thanks a bunch! Hope to hear from your all! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try on aerostructures and airframes, some ideas-stress analysis.etc

I've been looking at different nozzle designs and would like to make one from scratch, at least a small one, but I'm not so sure yet. I also like aerodynamics, but I'm undecided and really don't know what materials I need to start on a small project alone.

justPAB said:
I've been looking at different nozzle designs and would like to make one from scratch, at least a small one, but I'm not so sure yet. I also like aerodynamics, but I'm undecided and really don't know what materials I need to start on a small project alone.

That's good, with nozzle designs your can estimate the fluid(Gases) flows out from the nozzle, velocities of the exhaust flow for different nozzle section and some designs on the thrust reversers as well at different nozzle section and how can thrust reversers be arranged with the appropriate nozzles.The behaviour of some components like -vibrations on particular components and so on.
you can include calcluatinng some quantities like reynolds number, temperature at the exhaust at certain time intervals, explain the temperature of the exhaust in graph for a better understanding and so on.
All the best.

Last edited:

Hi there! It's great to hear that you are interested in pursuing a project in the field of Aerospace Engineering. I would suggest starting with a smaller project that focuses on a specific aspect of aerospace engineering, such as propulsion systems or spacecraft design. This will allow you to gain a deeper understanding of the subject and build your skills before taking on a larger project.

One idea could be to design and build a model rocket with a functioning propulsion system. This will give you hands-on experience with rocketry and allow you to apply your knowledge of math and physics. You could also consider researching and designing a new type of propulsion system for a spacecraft, such as an ion thruster or a solar sail.

Another idea could be to create a computer simulation of a spacecraft's flight path, taking into account factors such as gravity, atmospheric drag, and propulsion systems. This will help you understand the complexities of space flight and improve your programming skills.

Additionally, you could look into participating in a student competition, such as the NASA Student Launch Initiative or the Spaceport America Cup, which will give you the opportunity to work on a team and apply your knowledge to a real-world project.

Remember to also take advantage of your courses and seek guidance from your professors. They can provide valuable insights and resources for your project. Good luck on your aerospace project!

Related to Aerospace project for a beginner

1. What is an aerospace project?

An aerospace project is a scientific or technological endeavor that involves the research, design, development, and/or construction of aircraft, spacecraft, and other vehicles that operate in the Earth's atmosphere or in outer space.

2. Who can participate in an aerospace project for beginners?

Aerospace projects can be open to anyone who has an interest in the field, regardless of their age, educational background, or experience level. Many universities, organizations, and companies offer beginner-level programs and workshops for those interested in aerospace.

3. What skills are needed for a beginner to participate in an aerospace project?

Some basic skills that can be helpful for beginners in aerospace projects include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work well in a team. However, many beginners start with little to no experience and learn these skills through their involvement in the project.

4. What are some common types of aerospace projects for beginners?

Some common types of aerospace projects for beginners include model rocketry, building and launching small drones, designing and constructing paper airplanes, and participating in hands-on workshops that focus on specific aspects of aerospace engineering.

5. How can participating in an aerospace project benefit a beginner?

Participating in an aerospace project can provide beginners with hands-on experience in a field that they are interested in, as well as the opportunity to learn new skills, work with others who share their passion, and gain a deeper understanding of the principles behind flight and space exploration. It can also be a great addition to a resume or college application, showing a commitment to learning and a passion for science and technology.