Aeronautical Engineering: Physics Degree to Aero Career?

• Thread starter Series
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, it is possible to break into aero from a physics background by doing a masters in aero, and while those with an aero degree may have a slight advantage, it is not impossible for someone with a physics degree to achieve the same level of expertise.
Series
I've just finished the first year of my physics degree at Imperial College London and I'm having doubts about carrying on with physics. From what I have read on here, it seems pretty difficult to go from physics to engineering and I am seriously considering aeronautical engineering as a career choice.

Being an aeronautical engineer has always appealed to me but I chose physics instead because that's what I enjoyed the most and I was always told that you are very employable if you go into physics. But, I don't want to go into finance nor do I want to teach, and these are where most of the graduates go, no?Would it be possible to break into Aero from physics by doing a masters in Aero? Like in Fluids or something?

Roughly speaking, how much of a big advantage does someone with an aero degree have over me if I do a masters in aero?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is definitely possible to break into aero from a physics background by doing a masters in aero. Depending on the field of aeronautical engineering you are interested in, there are many specialized courses that you can take to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to work in the field. For example, if you want to work in aerodynamics, you can take a course in aero-fluids or aerodynamic design. Generally speaking, those with an aeronautical engineering degree will have a bit of an advantage over those coming from a physics background, as the former will have already acquired some of the technical knowledge and skills required for the job. However, this is not to say that someone with a physics background cannot catch up and acquire the same level of expertise - it may just take a bit longer.

Related to Aeronautical Engineering: Physics Degree to Aero Career?

1. What is aeronautical engineering?

Aeronautical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, testing, and maintenance of aircraft and spacecraft.

2. Can I pursue a career in aeronautical engineering with a physics degree?

Yes, a physics degree can be a great foundation for a career in aeronautical engineering. Many universities offer specialized programs that combine physics and aeronautical engineering, or you can pursue a graduate degree in aeronautical engineering after completing a physics degree.

3. What skills are needed for a career in aeronautical engineering?

Some important skills for a career in aeronautical engineering include strong math and physics abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and technical knowledge of aircraft systems and design principles.

4. What job opportunities are available for aeronautical engineers?

Aeronautical engineers can find job opportunities in a variety of industries, including commercial and military aircraft design and manufacturing, space exploration, and research and development. They may also work in government agencies or for consulting firms.

5. How is the job outlook for aeronautical engineers?

The job outlook for aeronautical engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 3% from 2019-2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is due to the continued demand for new and improved aircraft, as well as advancements in technology and the growing interest in space exploration.