Advise on how to study (and catch up) in Classical Mechanics

In summary, the speaker is struggling with their classical mechanics class due to lack of time and previous neglect of the subject. They are seeking advice on how to efficiently catch up, such as finding a different textbook, taking notes, or asking their professor for help.
PHNETH
Hello all,

Doing this week's problem set, I realized that I have become totally lost in my classical mechanics class. Part of the problem is that my other classes are also very time demanding that I end up putting classical mechanics off because it is so dry (for me at least). The other reason I can think of is that I took freshman physics at a community college and I pretty much didn't pay any attention and didn't put any work into it (and now I am paying for it).

So now I am at a phase where I can read the textbook and do some of the easy examples, but when it comes to almost all of the actually problems, it seems like I can't figure out how to apply the concepts.

Since my time is extremely tight this quarter, I am trying to figure out the best way to be efficient and catch up. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Get another book, find one with really good reviews. Or, go into the book store and look at the problems yourself.

Take it one step at a time, and take notes, straight from the book. After you get done with a chapter, see if you remember the concepts, and then re-read your notes.

Or of course, ask your professor for help.

First of all, don't be too hard on yourself for not paying attention in your previous physics class. We all make mistakes and it's never too late to turn things around and improve. Here are a few tips to help you catch up and study effectively for your classical mechanics class:

1. Start by identifying your weaknesses: Take a look at the concepts and topics that you struggle with the most. This will help you focus your efforts on those specific areas and improve your understanding.

2. Review the basics: Since you mentioned that you didn't pay attention in your previous physics class, it might be helpful to review the basics of classical mechanics. This will provide a strong foundation for the more complex concepts and problems.

3. Utilize online resources: There are plenty of online resources available for studying classical mechanics, such as lecture videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations. These can be a great supplement to your textbook and can help you visualize and understand the concepts better.

4. Practice, practice, practice: The key to mastering any subject is practice. Make sure to work through as many problems as you can, even if they seem easy. This will help you develop problem-solving skills and build your confidence.

5. Seek help when needed: Don't be afraid to ask for help if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem. Your professor, teaching assistant, or classmates can be valuable resources for clarifying any confusion you may have.

6. Stay organized and manage your time: With a tight schedule, it's important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Create a study schedule and stick to it, making sure to allocate enough time for studying classical mechanics.

Remember, catching up in a challenging subject like classical mechanics will require dedication and hard work, but don't get discouraged. With these tips and a positive attitude, you can definitely improve and succeed in your class. Good luck!

Related to Advise on how to study (and catch up) in Classical Mechanics

1. How can I catch up on Classical Mechanics if I am behind in my studies?

First, make a plan to prioritize your studying time and focus on the most important concepts. Review your notes and any missed assignments or exams to identify areas that need extra attention. Then, use online resources or seek help from a tutor or classmate to fill in any knowledge gaps.

2. What are some effective study strategies for Classical Mechanics?

Some effective study strategies for Classical Mechanics include practicing problems, creating study guides or flashcards, and teaching the material to someone else. It is also important to regularly attend class and actively participate in discussions and activities.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying Classical Mechanics?

The amount of time needed to study Classical Mechanics may vary for each individual. However, it is recommended to dedicate at least 2-3 hours of focused studying per week for every credit hour of the course. This can be adjusted based on your personal learning style and pace.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when studying Classical Mechanics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when studying Classical Mechanics include neglecting to review fundamental concepts, not practicing enough problems, and relying solely on memorization rather than understanding the principles and concepts. It is also important to manage your time effectively and avoid procrastination.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying Classical Mechanics?

To stay motivated while studying Classical Mechanics, set achievable goals and reward yourself when you reach them. It can also be helpful to study with a friend or join a study group to keep each other accountable and motivated. Remember to also take breaks and engage in activities that you enjoy to prevent burnout.