Advice on enhancing digital image

In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to digitally enhance a sequence of pictures of distant buildings taken with a camera. They have tried overlaying the images in PhotoShop and using the 'multiply' or 'difference' blend, but are looking for an easier way to enhance the images. They then mention using a program called RegiStax to stack the images and GoogleEarth to plot the line of sight from Toronto. They also mention the Mirage Effect and how it allows objects to be visible over the curve of the Earth. Another person suggests using additional software for image enhancement and the original poster shares a better picture they have taken. The conversation then shifts to discussing a Microsoft project called Photosynth which creates a virtual world from a collection of
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've got a sequence of pictures from my camera of some very distant buildings (~20mi) that I'd like to digitally enhance. I took about 20 shots in rapid succession in the hopes that I can combine them to produce a better image.

My first attempt will simply be to overlay them in PhotoShop and use the 'multiply' or 'difference' blend.

I'd like some advice on how to easily enhance these. (This is just for fun. I don't mind downloading some s/w package, but I'm not going to go to great lengths.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You! Cool program! Here's my results:

Whenever I come over the Islington bridge into New Toronto I get a gorgeous view of Lake Ontario. On a clear day, I can see the water tower in Niagara-on-the-Lake, but I've never seen this far before.

Today I could see tall clustered buildings. Could it be? Could I be seeing 40 miles all the way to Niagara Falls?

Probably, but I never miss an opportunity for geekiness.

So I snapped off about twenty identical shots:
0000t8f5.jpg

You can just barely see the horizon lost in the haze.

Then I ran them through RegiStax. (cool program!)

And then I checked GoogleEarth and plotted the line of sight from Toronto, rotating the satellite image appropriately.

Then I looked for likely candidates - the Skylon Tower being the most obvious (the leftmost - looks like the CN tower). Long shadows are easier to spot than actual buildings.

And lookie!

0000wasa.jpg

P.S. The reason Niagara Falls was visible today is not because the air was particularly clear, it is because of the Mirage Effect - specifically a superior Mirage. Niagara Falls, being 40 miles away is over the curve of the Earth, but the air over the water bends the light over the curve, creating an image above that of the position of the actual object, thus:
mirtowr.gif

Last edited:
This may be of interest. It'll tell you just how far your horizon is and how high objects have to be to be visible (normally): http://www.boatsafe.com/tools/horizon.htm

Near as I can tell, the observation deck is about 450 feet up and the base is 250 feet above the lake, which puts its horizon at 35 miles. Judging from your picture, you are a good 40 feet up, which puts your horizon at 8.5 miles. So I think you should be able to see it on any decent day.

Last edited:
What did one or two of your originals look like?

russ_watters said:
So I think you should be able to see it on any decent day.
Huh. That makes sense but it's not true in reality - and I look all the time. (I always spot the water tower in good days.)

I don't know how high above the water I am, though it shouldn't be hard to figure it out. I'm only 1/4 mile from the lake but I'll have to check on the height of the bridge.

robphy said:
What did one or two of your originals look like?
That was one of the images I attached in my post.

Last edited:
My backyard. I coudlnt figure out how to use that program to put them together though..

Redid a better picture.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7241/housesv4.jpg

I had the camera on a roll of paper towels and turned it, so it was always level. You can see when I put the pictures together how the time stamp drifted. Turns out that every time you rotate the camera, you need to tilt it for the pictures to match.

Although my post is a little off-topic, cyrusabdollahi's composite photo reminded me
of this new Microsoft project: http://labs.live.com/photosynth/,
which creates a virtual world from a collection of photos that it somehow
stitches together in 3D. It's rather impressive. (The "Tech Preview" is an ActiveX plugin.)

Here's an image from someone's flickr contribution:
407622006_2bf27b5911.jpg

robphy said:
It's rather impressive.
Sure. If I were impressed by watching my computer puke.

DaveC426913 said:
Sure. If I were impressed by watching my computer puke.

Worked for me.

Related to Advice on enhancing digital image

1. How can I improve the resolution of my digital images?

There are a few ways to enhance the resolution of your digital images. One method is to use software such as Photoshop or Lightroom to resize and sharpen the image. Another option is to use a high-quality camera with a higher megapixel count. You can also try using a tripod to reduce camera shake and improve overall sharpness.

2. What is the best way to remove noise from my digital images?

Noise refers to the grainy or pixelated appearance that can occur in digital images. To reduce noise, you can use noise reduction software or adjust the ISO settings on your camera. It's also important to use proper lighting and avoid shooting in low light conditions, as this can contribute to noise in your images.

3. How can I make my digital images look more vibrant and colorful?

To enhance the colors in your digital images, you can adjust the saturation and vibrance levels using photo editing software. You can also play around with the contrast and brightness to make the colors pop. Another tip is to make sure your camera settings are optimized for color, such as using a wider color gamut or shooting in RAW format.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when enhancing digital images?

One common mistake is over-processing your images, which can result in an unnatural or artificial look. It's important to use editing techniques sparingly and to always refer back to the original image to ensure you're not going too far. It's also important to avoid using low-quality images or trying to enhance images that are too blurry or low-resolution.

5. Can I enhance old or damaged digital images?

Yes, you can use various techniques to enhance old or damaged digital images. For example, you can use software to remove scratches or blemishes, adjust the contrast and brightness to improve clarity, and even use color correction tools to restore faded colors. However, it's important to keep in mind that the extent to which an image can be enhanced depends on the severity of the damage and the quality of the original image.