Advice on being mathematically prepared (QM Griffiths and Cosmology Ryden)

In summary, the amount of ode's/pde's needed for Griffiths and Ryden depends on the individual's familiarity with the specific types of math. Griffiths does cover Hilbert spaces, but it is not expected for readers to already know it. It is important to have a good understanding of Fourier transforms and solving differential equations by separation of variables. Ryden's level of ode's/pde's required is unknown. For Griffiths, a strong knowledge of algebra and integrals is necessary for solving problems. Ryden may also require familiarity with 4D metric. Some tough integrals may need to be solved using numerical methods. Both Griffiths and Ryden are well-written and user-friendly books.
JVanUW
I was wondering whether I should brush up on ode's/pde's or just go through the math
appendix of Griffiths to prepare myself. How much ode's/pde's is needed for Griffiths
and Ryden? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on how familiar you are with certain kinds of math :)

We didn't use Griffiths, but I've looked into it a couple of times and it didn't look too heavy on the math. Hilbert spaces are important in QM, but I'm pretty sure Griffiths won't expect you to know it already.

Things you definitely need to control are Fourier transforms and solving differential equations by separation of variables, but that doesn't seem like a whole lot. Take a look at the appendices: Fourier transforms will undoubedly be covered there, and as for solving differential equations by separation: well the name already pretty much says what there is to say, assuming you've seen it in a course before.

My feeling is that you can dive right in.

As for Ryden, no idea, unfamiliar with it.

I cannot speak for Ryden, but, as I recall, Griffiths is not too demanding in terms of pde's. Sure, brush up on ode's, as you'll need them for the exercises, but nothing too demanding. Griffith's is very good at explaining the derivations, so you needn't worry too much.

Awesome, thanks. So no systems of differential equations or change of variables?

For Griffiths: If you want to follow all the derivations then you definitely need to have a good knowledge of ODE's, Separation of Variables in PDE's, Fourier Series and Transforms. To do the problems you just need to be a beast at algebra and doing integrals and have a lot of patience :)

Griffiths isn't linear algebra heavy at all (this makes things boring IMO), unlike most of the graduate level texts.

Speaking for Ryden, you basically need to know how to solve some differential equations, integrals (some of which will be tough or require numerical methods), and perhaps a little familiarity with 4D metric.

I appreciate all the insight. What do you mean by numerical methods?

Techniques for solving integrals without analytical solutions. The ability to use Wolphram Alpha will probably suffice. I remember the big things were all the integrals and differential equations. The book is well written though as well as Griffiths QM which I am using currently. They are both rather friendly books.

Related to Advice on being mathematically prepared (QM Griffiths and Cosmology Ryden)

What is the best way to prepare for studying Quantum Mechanics with Griffiths?

The best way to prepare for studying Quantum Mechanics with Griffiths is to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra, differential equations, and calculus. It is also helpful to have some basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

What resources can I use to improve my mathematical skills for studying QM with Griffiths?

There are many resources available to improve mathematical skills for studying QM with Griffiths. Some suggestions include online tutorials and exercises, textbooks on the relevant mathematical topics, and seeking help from a tutor or mentor.

Do I need to have prior knowledge of cosmology to study with Ryden's textbook?

No, prior knowledge of cosmology is not necessary to study with Ryden's textbook. However, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of general relativity and astronomy.

How important is it to have a strong mathematical background for studying cosmology with Ryden?

Having a strong mathematical background is crucial for studying cosmology with Ryden. The subject involves complex mathematical concepts and equations, and a solid foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary for understanding the material.

Can I use other textbooks or resources in addition to Griffiths and Ryden for studying these topics?

Yes, you can use other textbooks or resources in addition to Griffiths and Ryden for studying Quantum Mechanics and cosmology. It is always beneficial to consult multiple sources to gain a better understanding of the material. However, make sure the resources you choose are reputable and cover the same topics as the textbooks mentioned.