Adjusting Telescoping Antenna Length

In summary, the author suggests that the person adjust the telescoping antenna on their portable radio to 143 meters in length in order to receive the FM radio station clearly.
Sevendust

Homework Statement

"Your vacation cabin in the woods is at the very fringe of the reception area for the FM radio station in the previous question (that broadcasts at 100 mHz). In order to maximize your chances of receiving your favorite tunes clearly from this station, you should adjust the telescoping antenna of your portable radio to ____ meters in length."

Homework Equations

I missed class, so after some googling I found an equation online that stated that 143/frequency gives me the length in meters.

The Attempt at a Solution

143/100mhz = 1.43
I entered this and it was incorrect. Any help/equations I can use?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sevendust said:
googling I found an equation online that stated 468/frequency gives me the length in feet, and 143/frequency gives me the length in meters.

Hi Sevendust! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Did you find what fraction λ is best for the whip antenna? Won't you need to know whether the answer should be in feet or metres, before entering it in an online quiz?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_antenna

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey :), the answers going to be in metres, sorry if I made that vague in my first post. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by finding the fraction λ: can you explain?

fraction of λ = fraction of wavelength

You shouldn't use random formulas without understanding them. You should review your textbook before trying the problem.

The kind of antenna in question is usually 1/4 of the wavelength of the expected signal. You know the frequency, so you can calculate the wavelength. You may also need the rule of thumb that the electrical length of an antenna is about 95% of the physical length.

Got it: thanks for your help guys. I need to find a classmate with the notes so I can review for the test. Cheers.

Related to Adjusting Telescoping Antenna Length

1. How do I adjust the length of a telescoping antenna?

To adjust the length of a telescoping antenna, you will need to find the locking mechanism and loosen it. Then, gently pull the sections of the antenna apart or push them together to achieve the desired length. Once you have the desired length, tighten the locking mechanism to secure the antenna in place.

2. Why do I need to adjust the length of a telescoping antenna?

The length of a telescoping antenna is important because it determines the frequency range that the antenna can receive. Adjusting the length allows you to optimize the antenna for the specific frequency you are trying to receive.

3. How do I know what length to adjust my telescoping antenna to?

The length of a telescoping antenna should be adjusted based on the frequency you are trying to receive. You can use an online calculator or a formula to determine the optimal length for a specific frequency. It may also require some trial and error to find the best length for your specific location and conditions.

4. Can I adjust the length of a telescoping antenna for different frequencies?

Yes, you can adjust the length of a telescoping antenna for different frequencies. However, keep in mind that the optimal length for one frequency may not be the same for another frequency. It is important to adjust the length for each specific frequency you are trying to receive.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when adjusting the length of a telescoping antenna?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when adjusting the length of a telescoping antenna. Always make sure the antenna is fully retracted before attempting to adjust the length. Use caution when handling the antenna, as the sections can be sharp and may pinch your fingers. Additionally, avoid adjusting the length of the antenna during a thunderstorm to avoid any potential risks of being struck by lightning.