Adiabatic vs. Isocurvature cosmological perturbations

Your Name] In summary, the Curvaton Mechanism is a topic that involves the dynamics of the curvaton field during inflation and its contribution to the total energy density of the universe. The perturbation of the curvaton field is initially isocurvature due to its frozen state during inflation, but as it starts to oscillate, it transforms into an adiabatic perturbation. The generation of the curvature perturbation ends when the pressure perturbation becomes adiabatic again, either through the decay or domination of the curvaton field. Further calculations can help clarify these concepts. Thank you for your interest and please feel free to ask any additional questions.
yancey
Dear everyone,
Now, I'm reading some papers on the "Curvaton Mechanism"(eg.http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0110002v2 as the original literature.) Here I have some confusion on this topic.

(1) Why the primordial perturbation of curvaton field is initially isocurvature-type? When the inflation driven by the inflaton field ends, the cosmological fluid is consist of radiation and curvaton, with radiation dominating the universe. I think it's meaningless to characterize a single constituent with adiabatic or isocurvature perturbation. So when people say the curvaton perturbation is initially isocurvature, dose they mean [tex]\delta{\rho}_{\sigma} =-\delta{\rho}_{r}?[/tex] i.e. the density pertubation of radiations cancel with the one of curvaton at each point in space. I wonder why this is the truth.

(2) When dose the transformation from isocurvature perturbation to adiabatic perturbation begin? The idea of the literature is that the generation of the curvature perturbation begins at the point when the curvaton field starts to oscillate. Why cannot the transformation starts earliar?

(3) When dose the generation of the curvature perturbation end? The literature argue that "It ends when the pressure perturbation again becomes adiabatic, which is at the epoch of curvaton matter domination, or the epoch of curvaton decay, whichever is earlier." Why the moment of curvaton matter domination or the curvaton dacay should be the moment when the pressure perturbation again becomes adiabatic?

Can anybody give me some hint on these? Maybe I should do some calculation to understand these problem. Thanks for your time.

Space news on Phys.org

Thank you for your questions regarding the Curvaton Mechanism. As a scientist studying this topic, I would be happy to provide some insights and explanations for your confusion.

Firstly, the reason why the primordial perturbation of the curvaton field is initially isocurvature-type is due to the dynamics of the curvaton field during inflation. Inflation is a period of rapid expansion in the early universe, and during this time, the curvaton field is effectively frozen and does not contribute significantly to the total energy density of the universe. However, as inflation ends and the curvaton field starts to oscillate, its energy density increases and can eventually dominate the universe. This is why the perturbation of the curvaton field is initially isocurvature – it is not contributing significantly to the total energy density during inflation.

To answer your second question, the transformation from isocurvature perturbation to adiabatic perturbation begins when the curvaton field starts to oscillate. This is because the oscillation of the curvaton field leads to its energy density becoming a significant component of the total energy density of the universe. This in turn leads to a transfer of energy from the curvaton field to radiation, resulting in the generation of adiabatic perturbations.

The moment when the generation of the curvature perturbation ends is determined by when the pressure perturbation becomes adiabatic again. This occurs when the curvaton field decays or when it starts to dominate the universe. At this point, the energy density of the curvaton field is converted into radiation, resulting in an adiabatic perturbation.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. It is always helpful to do some calculations to understand these concepts better. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you for your interest in the Curvaton Mechanism.

Related to Adiabatic vs. Isocurvature cosmological perturbations

1. What are adiabatic and isocurvature cosmological perturbations?

Adiabatic cosmological perturbations refer to fluctuations in the density of matter and radiation that are proportional to each other. Isocurvature cosmological perturbations, on the other hand, refer to fluctuations in the relative abundance of different types of matter or radiation.

2. What is the difference between adiabatic and isocurvature perturbations?

The main difference between adiabatic and isocurvature cosmological perturbations is that adiabatic perturbations affect all types of matter and radiation in the same way, while isocurvature perturbations only affect specific types of matter or radiation. Additionally, adiabatic perturbations are usually associated with the overall expansion of the universe, while isocurvature perturbations are associated with the relative motion of different components within the universe.

3. How do adiabatic and isocurvature perturbations affect the evolution of the universe?

Both adiabatic and isocurvature perturbations play a crucial role in the formation of structures in the universe such as galaxies and galaxy clusters. Adiabatic perturbations are responsible for the overall large-scale structure of the universe, while isocurvature perturbations can lead to the formation of smaller structures within these larger structures.

4. Can adiabatic and isocurvature perturbations be observed?

Yes, both adiabatic and isocurvature perturbations can be observed through their effects on the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. The CMB is a remnant of the early universe and contains imprints of both adiabatic and isocurvature perturbations, which can be measured by studying its temperature and polarization patterns.

5. What can the study of adiabatic and isocurvature perturbations tell us about the universe?

By studying adiabatic and isocurvature perturbations, scientists can gain a better understanding of the composition and evolution of the universe. This can help us determine the amount and distribution of dark matter and dark energy, as well as the overall geometry and fate of the universe. It can also provide insights into the conditions of the early universe and the processes that led to the formation of structures we see today.