Additive abelian group where x+x+x+x=0

In summary, there are three additive abelian groups of order 16 that have the property x + x + x + x = 0 for each x in the group. These groups are: G_1=\mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2, G_2=\mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_4, and G_3=\mathbb{Z}_4 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_4. This can be determined by expressing any finite abelian group as the direct sum of
jjou
(Problem 49 from practice GRE Math exam:) Up to isomorphism, how many additive abelian groups G of order 16 have the property that x + x + x + x = 0 for each x in G?
(A) 0
(B) 1
(C) 2
(D) 3
(E) 5

The answer is (D) 3, but I don't understand what the problem is asking, really, and I don't know what strategy I should take for this problem. My first guess was to just construct some groups having this property, but I think, on the actual exam, this strategy would take too long.

I was able to construct two groups, but I can't figure out what the third is.

[tex]G_1=\{0, 1, x, x+1, x^2, x^2+1, x^2+x, x^2+x+1, x^3, x^3+1, x^3+x, x^3+x+1, x^3+x^2, x^3+x^2+1, x^3+x^2+x, x^3+x^2+x+1\}[/tex]

[tex]G_2=\{0, 1, 2, 3, x, x+1, x+2, x+3, 2x, 2x+1, 2x+2, 2x+3, 3x, 3x+1, 3x+2, 3x+3\}[/tex]

Does anyone know what the third group is or have a better method for solving this problem?
Any suggestions / insights would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any finite abelian group can be expressed as the direct sum of cyclic groups whose orders are powers of primes. How many ways can you do that so the order is 16 and you still have 4x=0 for all x?

Okay, had to do some research to understand that. Is direct sum of cyclic groups the same as the direct product of groups?

If so, here are the 3 ways:

[tex]G_1=\mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]
[tex]G_2=\mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_4[/tex]
[tex]G_3=\mathbb{Z}_4 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_4[/tex]

Here, each cyclic group has an order which divides 4, thus 4x=0 for every element. The order of the direct sum of the groups is the product of the orders of each group, which is 16 in each case.

Yes?

Thanks! :)

That's all there is to it.

Related to Additive abelian group where x+x+x+x=0

1. What is an additive abelian group?

An additive abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation (usually denoted by +) that satisfies the properties of closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, and inverse. Simply put, it is a set of elements where addition is defined and follows certain rules.

2. What does it mean for x+x+x+x to equal 0 in an additive abelian group?

In an additive abelian group, the identity element (usually denoted by 0) is the element that, when added to any other element, results in the same element. Therefore, if x+x+x+x=0, it means that x is its own inverse and has a total of four elements added to it, resulting in the identity element.

3. What is the significance of an additive abelian group where x+x+x+x=0?

This property (known as the order of an element) is important in additive abelian groups because it allows us to better understand the structure and properties of the group. It also helps in proving theorems and solving problems related to the group.

4. Can an additive abelian group have more than one element where x+x+x+x=0?

No, in an additive abelian group, the identity element is unique, meaning there can only be one element that satisfies the condition of x+x+x+x=0. This is a fundamental property of additive abelian groups.

5. Are there real-life applications of additive abelian groups where x+x+x+x=0?

Yes, additive abelian groups are used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. For example, in quantum mechanics, the spin of particles can be represented by an additive abelian group where x+x+x+x=0 represents the spin canceling out. In coding theory, additive abelian groups are used in error-correcting codes.