Addition of Angular Momenta - Degeneracy

In summary: So in summary, the setter wants you to compute the sum of the states in the coupled basis.Yes. Effectively you can express any of your quantum states as a linear combination of states in the coupled (or in your language, mixed) basis or those in the uncoupled basis. Since both of these bases describe the same physical space of states, then the number of basis elements must be the same.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Show that when angular momenta ##j_1## and ##j_2## are combined, the total number of states is ##(2j_1 +1)(2j_1+2)##

1z3p2dt.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the two gyros in the box, there are ##2j_1 +1## possible orientations of the first gyro, and for each of these orientations, the second gyro can be oriented in ##2j_2+1## ways.

So shouldn't the total number of ways be ##(2j_1+1)(2j_2+1)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is an error in the question. While your reasoning is valid, I think the setter wants you to actually compute the sum on the LHS explicitly.

CAF123 said:
Yes, there is an error in the question. While your reasoning is valid, I think the setter wants you to actually compute the sum on the LHS explicitly.

How would I compute it explicitly?

Rewrite the sum like $$\sum_{J=j_1 - j_2}^{j_1 + j_2} 2J+1 = 2\sum_{J=j_1 - j_2}^{j_1 + j_2}J + \sum_{J=j_1 - j_2}^{j_1 + j_2} 1$$

Try to relabel the indices on each of these sums on the RHS so that you can use the well-known sum formula for the sum of the first ##n## positive integers. To use that, relabel the indices such that the sum starts at J=0.

The supposition is that ##j_1 \geq j_2## so ##j_1 - j_2## is non-negative which means rewriting the sums is a bit easier.

CAF123 said:
Rewrite the sum like $$\sum_{J=j_1 - j_2}^{j_1 + j_2} 2J+1 = 2\sum_{J=j_1 - j_2}^{j_1 + j_2}J + \sum_{J=j_1 - j_2}^{j_1 + j_2} 1$$

Try to relabel the indices on each of these sums on the RHS so that you can use the well-known sum formula for the sum of the first ##n## positive integers. To use that, relabel the indices such that the sum starts at J=0.

The supposition is that ##j_1 \geq j_2## so ##j_1 - j_2## is non-negative which means rewriting the sums is a bit easier.

[tex]\sum_{J=j_1 - j_2}^{j_1 + j_2} 2J+1[/tex]
[tex] = 2\sum_{J=j_1 - j_2}^{j_1 + j_2}J + \sum_{J=j_1 - j_2}^{j_1 + j_2} 1[/tex]
[tex]= 2(\frac{j_2+1}{2})(2j_1) + 2j_2+1[/tex]
[tex] = (2j_1+1)(2j_2+1)[/tex]

I suppose the sum of states is a constant? Because degeneracy for each particle is constant, and degeneracy of a combined state depends on degeneracy of each particle. Hence sum of states before mixing = sum of states after mixing.

Last edited:
Did you not expect ##(2j_1 + 1)(2j_2+1)##? Rewrite, for example, $$\sum_{J=j_1-j_2}^{j_1+j_2}\,J = \sum_{J=0}^{j_1+j_2}\,J - \sum_{J=0}^{(j_1-j_2)-1}\,J $$ and apply the sum of n integers formula.

CAF123 said:
Did you not expect ##(2j_1 + 1)(2j_2+1)##? Rewrite, for example, $$\sum_{J=j_1-j_2}^{j_1+j_2}\,J = \sum_{J=0}^{j_1+j_2}\,J - \sum_{J=0}^{(j_1-j_2)-1}\,J $$ and apply the sum of n integers formula.

I did, and I got ##(2j_1+1)(2j_2+1)##.

Why would the sum of states before and after mixing be equal? Is my explanation correct?

Last edited:
unscientific said:
Why would the sum of states before and after mixing be equal? Is my explanation correct?
Yes. Effectively you can express any of your quantum states as a linear combination of states in the coupled (or in your language, mixed) basis or those in the uncoupled basis. Since both of these bases describe the same physical space of states, then the number of basis elements must be the same.

Related to Addition of Angular Momenta - Degeneracy

1. What is degeneracy in the context of addition of angular momenta?

Degeneracy refers to the phenomenon in which two or more states have the same energy level. In the context of addition of angular momenta, it means that two or more combinations of angular momenta can result in the same total angular momentum value.

2. How does degeneracy affect the addition of angular momenta?

Degeneracy can complicate the addition of angular momenta because it means that there can be multiple ways to achieve the same total angular momentum value. This requires careful consideration and analysis of all possible combinations to determine the correct solution.

3. Can degeneracy be avoided in the addition of angular momenta?

No, degeneracy is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and cannot be avoided. However, its effects can be minimized by considering all possible combinations and using mathematical techniques to determine the correct solution.

4. How is degeneracy represented in the mathematical equations for addition of angular momenta?

Degeneracy is represented by the multiplicity factor, denoted by the letter m, in the mathematical equations for addition of angular momenta. This factor takes into account the number of ways in which a particular total angular momentum value can be achieved.

5. What are some real-world applications of degeneracy in the addition of angular momenta?

Degeneracy is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. It is also relevant in fields such as quantum computing, nuclear physics, and astrophysics, where the addition of angular momenta plays a significant role in determining the behavior of particles and systems.