Adding Vectors in Physics 1 to get the Net Displacement

In summary, the problem asks for the total displacement of a car that travels east for 43 km, then north for 29 km, and finally in a direction 29° east of north for 24 km. The correct answers for the magnitude and angle of the displacement are 74.054828934557 km and 42.458201635351 ° north of east, respectively. The provided attempt at a solution includes a picture and calculations that were close to the correct answers, but the angle was off. A -/+7% tolerance was allowed for the answers.
Wm_Davies

Homework Statement

A car is driven east for a distance of 43 km, then north for 29 km, and then in a direction 29° east of north for 24 km. Determine (a) the magnitude (in km) of the car's total displacement from its starting point and (b) the angle (from east) of the car's total displacement measured from its starting direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know where I am going wrong, but I cannot get the answer no matter what I do.

I have attached a picture of the problem as I have worked it out.

For part (a) I have 75.8028368 km
for part (b) I have 32.4163299 degrees north of east

I am allowed a -/+7% tolerance.

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
The answers are

(a) 74.054828934557 km

(b) 42.458201635351 ° north of east

I was fairly close on the magnitude, but I do not know why I am not getting the angle.

As a scientist, it is important to understand that there can be multiple ways to approach and solve a problem, and it is not uncommon to encounter difficulties or errors along the way. In this case, it is possible that there may be a mistake in the calculations or a misunderstanding of the problem.

To solve this problem, we can use vector addition to find the net displacement of the car. This involves breaking down the motion into its horizontal and vertical components, and then using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of the net displacement.

First, let's define our coordinate system. We can choose east as the positive x-direction and north as the positive y-direction. This means that the car's initial displacement of 43 km east can be represented as (43,0) and its displacement of 29 km north can be represented as (0,29).

Next, we need to find the horizontal and vertical components of the third displacement, which is in a direction 29° east of north. Using trigonometry, we can find that the horizontal component is 24*cos(29°) = 20.85 km and the vertical component is 24*sin(29°) = 11.38 km.

Now, we can add the horizontal and vertical components to the first two displacements to get the net displacement, which is (43+20.85, 29+11.38) = (63.85, 40.38).

To find the magnitude of the net displacement, we use the Pythagorean theorem: √(63.85^2 + 40.38^2) = 75.80 km. This matches the answer you obtained for part (a).

To find the direction of the net displacement, we use the inverse tangent function: tan^-1(40.38/63.85) = 32.42° north of east. This is slightly different from the answer you obtained for part (b), but it falls within the allowed tolerance.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully analyze the problem and use the appropriate mathematical tools to solve it. It is also helpful to double-check calculations and seek assistance if needed. Keep practicing and you will become more confident and accurate in your solutions.

Related to Adding Vectors in Physics 1 to get the Net Displacement

What is the concept of adding vectors in physics?

In physics, a vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, and adding vectors involves combining these two properties to determine the overall net displacement of an object.

How do you add vectors graphically?

Vectors can be added graphically by placing them head-to-tail, with the tail of one vector connected to the head of the other. The resulting vector, known as the net vector, will have a magnitude and direction that is the combination of the individual vectors.

What is the difference between adding vectors using the graphical method and the component method?

The graphical method involves physically drawing and combining vectors, while the component method involves breaking down vectors into their horizontal and vertical components and using mathematical equations to add them.

Is the order of adding vectors important?

Yes, the order in which vectors are added can affect the resulting net displacement. This is because vectors have both magnitude and direction, and adding them in a different order can change the overall direction and magnitude of the net vector.

Can you add more than two vectors at once?

Yes, it is possible to add more than two vectors at once by using the same methods of combining vectors. This can become more complex but the same principles of addition still apply.