Adding Trigonometric Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where two formulas need to be added together in order to create a sinusoidal function. The speaker mentions that they have gone over similar formulas in class, but none of them seem to apply to this specific question. Eventually, they remember the formula for adding/subtracting trigonometric functions and are able to solve the problem.
TrigEatsMe
I've muddled my way through the majority of my weekend assignment and I'm stuck on a problem where I need to add two formulas together.

1.) 20-10cos(x*pi/4)
2.) 30+20sin(x*pi/4)

I end up with a sinusoidal function which I can then graph and determine the max, min, etc.

We recently went over the addition/subtraction of trigonometric functions using formulas, but none of them match up with this kind of question. I'm missing something.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
TrigEatsMe said:
I've muddled my way through the majority of my weekend assignment and I'm stuck on a problem where I need to add two formulas together.

1.) 20-10cos(x*pi/4)
2.) 30+20sin(x*pi/4)

I end up with a sinusoidal function which I can then graph and determine the max, min, etc.

We recently went over the addition/subtraction of trigonometric functions using formulas, but none of them match up with this kind of question. I'm missing something.
The formula you need here is the one that says $a\sin\theta - b\cos\theta = \sqrt{a^2+b^2}\sin(\theta - \phi)$, where $\tan\phi = \dfrac ba.$

Got it -- weird how it clicks the following day sometimes. THanks! :)

Related to Adding Trigonometric Functions

1. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to calculate the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

2. How do you add trigonometric functions?

To add trigonometric functions, you first need to convert them to their equivalent form using identities. Then, you can simply combine the terms with the same trigonometric function and simplify the resulting expression.

3. What is the addition formula for sine and cosine?

The addition formula for sine and cosine is: sin(A+B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B). This formula is used to add two trigonometric functions with the same angle argument.

4. Can you add trigonometric functions with different angles?

No, you cannot directly add trigonometric functions with different angles. However, you can use identities to convert them to the same angle and then add them together.

5. What are some real-life applications of adding trigonometric functions?

Adding trigonometric functions is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving angles, distances, and forces. It is also used in navigation, surveying, and astronomy to calculate positions and distances.