Adding and subtracting polynomials

In summary: Also, I believe you have a typo in problem 2. It should probably be ##x^2 + x^4 - 6##. What you wrote is a polynomial equation, not a polynomial.I'm sorry, but I don't know what "standard form" or "degree" means. Could you please explain what they are?Standard form is how each term is written (e.g., y^3, 4y^2, 3-y). Degree is how many terms are in the polynomial (e.g., first degree, second degree, and so on).
Sonny18n

Homework Statement

Write each polynomial in standard form. Then name each polynomial based on its degree and number of terms.[/B]
1.4y^3 -4y^2+3-y
2.x^2=x^4-6
3.x+2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

4y+3-y
Don't know where else to go from here. Would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement doesn't actually say a problem.

Edited.

Sonny18n said:

Homework Statement

Write each polynomial in standard form. Then name each polynomial based on its degree and number of terms.[/B]
1.4y^3 -4y^2+3-y
2.x^2=x^4-6
3.x+2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

4y+3-y
Is this your work for #1?
First, ##4y^3 - 4y^2 \ne 4y##. These two terms are not like terms (your textbook should have a definition), and so can't be combined.

Second, you have not done what needs to be done here. For each of the problems, 1) write it in standard form (there should be a definition of what this means in your book), and 2) state the degree of the polynomial (e.g., first degree, second degree, and so on) and the number of terms (e.g., monomial, binomial, and so on).

Also, I believe you have a typo in problem 2. It should probably be ##x^2 + x^4 - 6##. What you wrote is a polynomial equation, not a polynomial.
Sonny18n said:
Don't know where else to go from here. Would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
Read (or reread) the section in your book that has these problems. Look for the definitions of all of the terms I wrote in italics.

Currently have nothing but a worksheet.
Let me try that again.
(4y^3 - 4y^2) + (3-y)

Sonny18n said:
Currently have nothing but a worksheet.
You don't have a textbook? Did your teacher provide definitions for the terms I listed in my previous post?
Sonny18n said:
Let me try that again.
(4y^3 - 4y^2) + (3-y)

All you have done here is write parentheses around two pairs of terms, which isn't what the problem is asking for.

For each of the problems, 1) write it in standard form (there should be a definition of what this means in your book), and 2) state the degree of the polynomial (e.g., first degree, second degree, and so on) and the number of terms (e.g., monomial, binomial, and so on).

Do you know what "standard form" means? Do you know what "degree" means? If you were given these problems surely you are expected to know that.

Related to Adding and subtracting polynomials

What are polynomials?

Polynomials are mathematical expressions that contain variables, coefficients, and exponents. They can involve addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and can have multiple terms.

What is the difference between adding and subtracting polynomials?

Adding polynomials involves combining like terms and simplifying the resulting expression, while subtracting polynomials involves distributing a negative sign and then adding like terms. The main difference is the use of negative signs in subtracting polynomials.

How do you add polynomials?

To add polynomials, you combine like terms by adding coefficients that have the same variables and exponents. Once all like terms have been combined, the resulting expression is the simplified sum of the polynomials.

How do you subtract polynomials?

To subtract polynomials, you distribute a negative sign to all terms in the second polynomial, and then add like terms to simplify the resulting expression. Remember to change the signs of the terms in the second polynomial when distributing the negative sign.

Can you give an example of adding and subtracting polynomials?

Yes, for example, if we have the polynomials 3x^2 + 5x + 2 and 2x^2 + 3x - 4, adding them would result in 5x^2 + 8x - 2, while subtracting them would result in x^2 + 2x + 6.