Simple motion graphs i need some clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding a worksheet and a PDF file related to motion and acceleration. The person is unsure about the answers for the worksheet and asks for clarification on the relationship between incline and velocity. The other person prompts them to think about the significance of incline and the forces acting on the objects. They also discuss the concept of acceleration and how it relates to force. The conversation ends with a question about the speed of an object going uphill versus downhill at the same speed.
rdn98
Ok. Please look at the attachment for the first part, and this web link for the second part. http://www.prenhall.com/divisions/esm/adv/tiponline/rankingtask/files/01KINEMA/kine003.pdf

For the first worksheet, this is what I have so far.
1. A
2. D
3. F
4. E
5. B
6. C
Is it right, or what do I need to change?

One question that I am unsure about is...does incline affect the velocity? A and F have the same motion, but one is going in the downward direction, and the other is going in the upward direction. But because their motion is the same, can I say that their velocity is the same also??

The second pdf file:

I said its going to be:
1. A
2. D
3. F
4. E
5. B
6. C

I know that B and E have constant velocity, so their acceleration is zero. C is slowing down, so its acceleration will be the lowest.
Now what I'm debating is that the motion of A, F, (maybe D) are the same, its just that their on different inclines. But does this mean their accelerations are the same also? Yea, I definitely need some clarification here.

Attachments

• kine002.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 357
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. Just give it some more thought.

You are thinking that the incline is significant because you know from experience that things usually accelerate downhill. Why is that so?

Now, in these problems, you are not told what force, if any, is acting on these balls. Is it gravity, electrostatic force, maybe wind ... ? Are they on the surface of the earth, or in deep space?

All you know are the various successive positions of the balls relative to their previous positions, and you are told that the time intervals are constant. (It is not stated, but I guess you can assume that the scale is the same in all of the drawings.) So you can assume that where the speed changes, there is acceleration, and where there is acceleration, there is SOME force.

So, what's faster, 60 mph uphill or 60 mph downhill?

First of all, great job on the first part of the worksheet! Your answers are correct. As for the question about incline affecting velocity, you are correct in saying that the motion is the same for both A and F, so their velocities should be the same as well. Inclination does not affect velocity, but it does affect the acceleration due to gravity. This means that the acceleration for A and F will be different, but their velocities will be the same.

For the second part of the worksheet, your answers are also correct. B and E have constant velocity, so their acceleration is zero. C is slowing down, so its acceleration will be the lowest. As for A, D, and F, their motion is the same, but their accelerations will be different due to the different inclines. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is affected by the angle of the incline.

I hope this clarifies your doubts. Keep up the good work!

What is a simple motion graph?

A simple motion graph is a visual representation of an object's motion over time. It shows the relationship between distance, time, and velocity.

What is the difference between a position-time graph and a velocity-time graph?

A position-time graph shows the change in an object's position over time, while a velocity-time graph shows the change in an object's velocity over time.

How do you interpret a simple motion graph?

The slope of a position-time graph represents an object's velocity, while the slope of a velocity-time graph represents an object's acceleration. The steeper the slope, the faster the object is moving.

What are the different types of motion represented by simple motion graphs?

There are three types of motion represented by simple motion graphs: constant motion, accelerated motion, and decelerated motion. Constant motion is shown by a straight line on a position-time graph, while accelerated and decelerated motion are shown by curved lines.

How can simple motion graphs be used in real life?

Simple motion graphs are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of a car during a road trip, tracking the movement of a rollercoaster, or analyzing the motion of a projectile in physics experiments.