Added "Care" emoji to reactions list

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: that the creator of this emoji might be more familiar with the show than I am?I have troubles with that series in general, anyway. Looks like a fattie doing things. Either that captain from Wall-e, or 'Blob' from Wolverine...
Added "Care" emoji to the reactions list. It was a long time coming and was a huge gap in our reactions. Thanks to @Astronuc for poking me to get it done.
care-emo.png

• Care
Likes Astronuc, pinball1970, Frabjous and 6 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get it. The "Care" emoji looks like someone whose throat and chin has been viciously cut. What's it supposed to be??

[Personally, I think "Groan" is also a huge gap in the reaction emojis.]

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu, Tom.G, DrClaude and 1 other person
strangerep said:
What's it supposed to be??
the figure is hugging a valentine - easier to see if you enlarge it enough to see the thumbs.

but yes, I’ve always seen that emoji the way you do

I would like to see something like a question mark.
Kind of the equivalent of the universal linguistic retort "huh", meaning I don't understand or want more info.

• Care
Likes gleem, Wrichik Basu, Rive and 3 others
BillTre said:
I would like to see something like a question mark.
Kind of the equivalent of the universal linguistic retort "huh", meaning I don't understand or want more info.
1675081861788.png

something like this?

Likes gleem, BillTre, phinds and 1 other person
strangerep said:
I don't get it. The "Care" emoji looks like someone whose throat and chin has been viciously cut. What's it supposed to be??
It's holding a heart, Pretty much the same as Apple devices use.

strangerep said:

1675091060021.png

• Skeptical
Likes phinds
It looks fine blown up but it's a bloody mess as it stands normal size. Really ugly. Optical illusion or not, I recommend changing it to something not so messy.

• Love
Likes Tom.G
Greg Bernhardt said:
It's holding a heart, Pretty much the same as Apple devices use.
Since when did Apple do anything right? :wink:

• Haha
  • Care
Likes Astronuc, gmax137 and Greg Bernhardt
strangerep said:
Me too, especially in the lame jokes thread

Likes jtbell, berkeman and phinds
Something like this would be better
1675098429688.png

Any good examples of what meaning this new emoji is supposed to convey on a post? That you care for the post (similar to loving it but not quite that much) or is it more like "awww, I think you need a hug"?

phinds said:
Something like this would be better
View attachment 321461
My reply to Stangerep was a joke if you read his post. Regarding your post, a heart means, "Sadly missed" on pf i.e. passed on.

pinball1970 said:
My reply to Stangerep was a joke if you read his post. Regarding your post, a heart means, "Sadly missed" on pf i.e. passed on.
Well, that's not what it means on the forum that uses it. It means "sincere" and we use it for something like "I share your pain".

Filip Larsen said:
Any good examples of what meaning this new emoji is supposed to convey on a post? That you care for the post (similar to loving it but not quite that much) or is it more like "awww, I think you need a hug"?
You can simply think of it as empathy

Likes Filip Larsen
phinds said:
but it's a bloody mess as it stands
A heart outside the body is practically the definition of a bloody mess,

• Haha
  • Care
Likes Wrichik Basu, Tom.G, strangerep and 3 others
Filip Larsen said:
Any good examples of what meaning this new emoji is supposed to convey on a post?
Well, this is a good example of a story on Facebook (that I received via my Wilderness First Aid group associations) that earned a "care" emoji from me (BTW, the Facebook version of the emoji looks just like the PF version):

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/crus...XF5gS8zHIAuNNaR74hg3aYkeRJ25OuGL8ChRgrSeayH6A

Probably the new emoji will be used mostly in the GD forum here at PF, for stories and news items like this one. Have a nice day. :wink:

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Likes Astronuc, Filip Larsen, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
dlgoff said:
@berkeman
Edit: Nice. The photo that is.
@berkeman
I still don't understand that "care" emoji. I say, be gone with it.

• Love
Likes Tom.G, Bystander and phinds
dlgoff said:
@berkeman
I still don't understand that "care" emoji. I say, be gone with it.
For me the difference is just a supportive "like" expression, versus "this post touched me emotionally, and I support it". Advice to get CPR training -- earns a "like". "Great CPR save by trained personnel" -- earns a "care/love" emoji.

Like I said, such situations come up a lot more in my Facebook feed because of my subscriptions. Probably not so much here at PF, but there have been a few times in GD here in some threads where the "care/heart" emoji would have been a better match.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc and dlgoff
Greg Bernhardt said:
You can simply think of it as empathy
Then maybe changing the name from "Care" to "Emphasize" would be clearer?

I still don't get why hugging a heart means "empathy", but,... ok,... your wisdom in such matters exceeds mine by a large margin.

Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
For me the difference is just a supportive "like" expression, versus "this post touched me emotionally, and I support it".
That emotion just does not kicks in. Not for me: not with this particular emoji.
But I have troubles with that series in general, anyway. Looks like a fattie doing things. Either that captain from Wall-e, or 'Blob' from Wolverine... o0)

No problem with the general idea, though. Is there chance for a change if better alternative presented?

Likes Wrichik Basu, Tom.G and dlgoff
While I understand the emotion expressed by the emoji reaction, I am not sure how useful it will be here in PF. I haven't found a need to use this emoji reaction till date, counting from the day I joined.

Looking forward to a question mark reaction emoji (meaning "couldn't understand") in the near future...

Last edited:
Likes gleem and phinds
With all those emojis, one would think we are writing a dictionary!

Likes Bystander
dlgoff said:
I still don't understand that "care" emoji.
The point is you can like posts you don't care about and care about posts you don't like.
I guess.

• Haha
  • Skeptical
Likes dlgoff, berkeman and Wrichik Basu
berkeman said:
the Facebook version
That is the origin of the idea.

dlgoff said:
I still don't understand that "care" emoji.
Somewhere between "like" and "love" is "caring", or as Greg indicated, it is an expression of "empathy".

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Well, this is a good example of a story on Facebook (that I received via my Wilderness First Aid group associations) that earned a "care" emoji from me (BTW, the Facebook version of the emoji looks just like the PF version):
That's a nice area to hike. I was trying to figure out how that got there - Colchuck Lake and Stuart Lake trailhead (NW of Mt. Stuart). I'm guessing they used a forest road of Icicle Rd going southwest out of Leavenworth, which is a popular destination for those hiking in the Enchantments. The article mentions Aasgard Pass and Dragontail Peak. I haven't been there but I have planned to go hiking there and Mt Cashmere (couple of miles N of Colchuck Lake). I've hiked in the area of Stevens Pass off Rte 2.

And I thought we were in the Hard sciences, with the squishy ones left for other sites.

Oh Well, we all make mistakes.

Astronuc said:
Somewhere between "like" and "love
Sounds like "I love you, but am not in love with you:"
And nothing good ever follows that.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and pinball1970
Tom.G said:
And I thought we were in the Hard sciences, with the squishy ones left for other sites.
It's unlikely to be used in the technical forums, IMO. Fits more in the Lounge area, which by definition is "squishy". :wink:

Likes Astronuc and Lnewqban

Related to Added "Care" emoji to reactions list

1. What is the purpose of adding a "care" emoji to the reactions list?

The purpose of adding a "care" emoji to the reactions list is to provide users with a way to express empathy, support, or concern for a post or comment. It allows for a more nuanced and diverse range of reactions beyond the traditional "like" button.

2. How was the decision made to add a "care" emoji to the reactions list?

The decision to add a "care" emoji to the reactions list was likely made based on user feedback and demand. Social media platforms often gather feedback from users and use data analytics to determine which features or changes will be most beneficial to their user base.

3. Will the "care" emoji be available on all posts and comments?

It is likely that the "care" emoji will be available on all posts and comments, as most platforms aim to make features and reactions available universally. However, there may be some restrictions or limitations on certain types of posts or comments.

4. Can the "care" emoji be used in combination with other reactions?

Yes, users can use the "care" emoji in combination with other reactions, such as the "like" button or other emojis. This allows for a more nuanced and personalized response to a post or comment.

5. Will there be any guidelines or restrictions on the use of the "care" emoji?

It is possible that there may be some guidelines or restrictions on the use of the "care" emoji, as with any other reaction or feature on a social media platform. These guidelines may be in place to prevent misuse or abuse of the feature.