Active Filters in Multiple Order

In summary, the conversation discussed the behavior of active filters (low/high/band) connected serially in multiple order magnitude. It was mentioned that the cutoff for two low pass filters is -6dB/octave and the -3dB value is typically at the x-intercept of a graph showing frequency vs gain. As more filters are added, such as 2 or more, the cutoff changes to -12dB/octave. The question was then posed on how to calculate f_4 or f_10 in this scenario. It was clarified that for a single LPF with f_0 of 1000Hz, f_2 would be half as much. For a dual LPF with the same resistor/capacitor values,
foobag
Hi Guys.

I have a question on the behavior of active filters (low/high/band) that are connected serially in multiple order magnitude.

For instance given 2 low pass filters.

Now I understand there exists a -6dB/octave cutoff, and generally f_o or the -3dB value is situated at the x-intercept of a graph showing frequency vs gain.

If there are multiple filters, such as 2, then I understand this changes to a -12dB/octave, and so forth as more filters are attached with the same resistor/capacitor values etc.

Now my question is let's say someone asks to find f_4, or f_10, generally how does one go about calculating this? If there was just one LPF with f_0 of 1000Hz, than f_2 is -6dB/octave so it would be half as much, am I correct? How does this apply to a 2 LPF design, would it be 1/4 as much?

Engineering news on Phys.org
so I think I should clarify

that f_2 would be (A = 2, or gain equal to 2?)

so in a bode plot with log f vs log A, the more integrators/low pass filters added would make the line much more steeper am I correct?

Thus for a single LPF (low pass filter), if F_o = 1000 Hz, then F_2 = 500 Hz at (Av = 2).

For a dual LPF configuration of same R/C values, if F_o = 1000Hz, then F_2 would be equal to 250 Hz, 4 times smaller since its -12db/octave??

is this logic correct?

Related to Active Filters in Multiple Order

1. How do active filters differ from passive filters?

Active filters use active components such as operational amplifiers to amplify and shape the output signal, while passive filters use only passive components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

2. What are the advantages of using multiple order active filters?

Multiple order active filters provide steeper roll-off slopes and better frequency response compared to single order filters. They also have higher selectivity and can achieve a flatter passband response.

3. What is the difference between first, second, and higher order active filters?

The order of an active filter refers to the number of reactive components in the circuit. First order filters have one reactive component, second order filters have two, and higher order filters have three or more. As the order increases, the filter becomes more complex and has a steeper roll-off slope.

4. How do I choose the appropriate order for my active filter?

The order of the active filter depends on the desired frequency response and the complexity of the circuit. Higher order filters are necessary for applications that require a sharp cutoff and low passband ripple. However, they may also introduce more noise and require more components.

5. What are some common applications of multiple order active filters?

Multiple order active filters are commonly used in audio systems, telecommunications, and instrumentation. They are also used in signal processing, data acquisition, and control systems to eliminate noise and unwanted frequencies from the input signal.