Designing Butterworth LPF to Meet J211 Specs with ADXL377 Sensor

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a Butterworth LPF for a sensor with specific requirements, including pass band frequency, cutoff frequency, pass band and stop band ripple, and sample rate. The individual is experiencing difficulty with creating a stable filter using Matlab and is considering using the "designfilt" function. They also mention the possibility of converting from digital to analog using the reverse bilinear transformation or increasing the sample time to simulate an analog system.
ConnorM
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
I am a student trying to design a Butterworth LPF to meet the class 1000 specifications, by SAE J211 (https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/005/sae.j211-1.1995.pdf). My sensor is an ADXL377 accelerometer with analog output.

My filter requirements (from J211) are
fp = 1000Hz (Pass band frequency)
fc = 1650Hz (Cutoff frequency)
Rp = 0.5db (Pass band ripple)
Rs = -40db (Stop band ripple)
Fs = 10,000Hz (Sample rate)

My goal is to come up with some filter design that I can then implement with an RC circuit.
J211 specifies that it a 4th order butterworth could be used to meet the above requirements but when I try inputting the values on Matlab I obtain an unstable filter.

Wp = 2*fp/Fs
fs comes from 4th order filter with -24octave/db, and fc at -3db.
fs = 3590Hz
Ws = 2*fs/Fs

[n,Wn] = buttord(Wp,Ws,Rp,Rs);
[b,a] = butter(n,Wn);
G = tf(b,a);
isstable(G) —> outputs zero
Also the poles are in the right side of the imaginary axis in the pzplot...

Should I just use the “designfilt” function and take whatever it gives me?
Could someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
ConnorM said:
Ws = 2*fs/Fs

ConnorM said:
Wp = 2*fp/Fs

ConnorM said:
I obtain an unstable filter.

ConnorM said:
Also the poles are in the right side of the imaginary axis in the pzplot

how much do you know about control systems and stability?

Realized I was looking at a digital filter and not an analog filter. It was in Z domain so the poles were contained within the unit circle.

Did my best to replicate the digital filter response with the analog filter I made.

:)

did you manage to fix it. do you know how to convert from digital to analog?

donpacino said:
:)

did you manage to fix it. do you know how to convert from digital to analog?

Yes I think I managed to fix it! I’m not quite sure how to convert from digital to analog, I was able to find a lot about how to convert from analog to digital though.

Would I just apply a reverse bilinear transform to the Z space transfer function?

Likes donpacino
Yup!. Its called the inverse bilinear transformation.

A cheating way to do it (depending on your goals and requirements) is increase your sample time until it greatly exceeds the characteristics of your system.
At infinite frequency, digital domain will equal analog. As you get closer to infinite, they'll converge. Eventually they'll get close enough.

So if you are ever simulating a digital system, and want to see what would happen if you used an analog system, just crank up the sample frequency!

Related to Designing Butterworth LPF to Meet J211 Specs with ADXL377 Sensor

1. How do I determine the cutoff frequency for a Butterworth low-pass filter?

The cutoff frequency for a Butterworth low-pass filter can be calculated using the formula ƒc = 1/ (2πRC), where ƒc is the cutoff frequency, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance. Alternatively, there are many online calculators available that can help determine the cutoff frequency based on the desired attenuation and filter order.

2. What is the importance of meeting J211 specifications for a low-pass filter?

J211 is a standard set by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) that outlines the guidelines and requirements for instrumentation used in vehicle crash testing. Meeting J211 specifications ensures that the filter can accurately measure and record the acceleration data without distorting the signal.

3. Can the ADXL377 sensor be used to meet J211 specifications for a low-pass filter?

Yes, the ADXL377 sensor is specifically designed for automotive crash testing applications and meets the requirements outlined in J211. However, it is important to properly calibrate and configure the sensor to ensure accurate and reliable data.

4. How do I design a Butterworth low-pass filter using the ADXL377 sensor to meet J211 specifications?

To design a Butterworth low-pass filter to meet J211 specifications with the ADXL377 sensor, you will need to determine the appropriate cutoff frequency based on the desired attenuation and filter order. Then, use the formula mentioned in the first question to calculate the necessary resistance and capacitance values. Finally, use these values to design and implement the filter circuit.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when designing a Butterworth low-pass filter to meet J211 specifications with the ADXL377 sensor?

In addition to the cutoff frequency, other factors to consider include the filter order, component tolerances, and the noise characteristics of the sensor. It is also important to follow best practices for PCB layout and grounding to minimize interference and ensure accurate readings.