ACT Problem: Distance, Rate and Time

In summary: So, "d=rt" is really the same thing as "d=vt". In summary, the d=rt formula is used to calculate the distance traveled by an object based on its rate of travel and the time it has been traveling. In the given conversation, we can use this formula to find the distance between Joan and Anthony on the track.
Joan is riding her bicycle along a track at 15 miles per hour. Anthony, who is ahead of Joan on the same track, is riding his bicycle at 12 miles per hour. If it will take Joan 5 hours to catch Anthony at their current speeds, how many mile ahead of Joan on the track is Anthony?

How would you solve it using the d=rt formula?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: ACT problem

816318 said:
Joan is riding her bicycle along a track at 15 miles per hour. Anthony, who is ahead of Joan on the same track, is riding his bicycle at 12 miles per hour. If it will take Joan 5 hours to catch Anthony at their current speeds, how many mile ahead of Joan on the track is Anthony?

Hi 816318, could you expand on what you intend the d = rt formula to mean? Maybe i should know from experience.. I'm thinking distance equals something by time.. Ha :p. I'll feel silly when i realize, but we have to know for sure!

816318 said:

We can simplify this problem a bit if we orient our coordinate axis such that Anthony is at the origin and Joan is some distance away approaching the origin at 3 mph. Can you proceed?

MarkFL said:
We can simplify this problem a bit if we orient our coordinate axis such that Anthony is at the origin and Joan is some distance away approaching the origin at 3 mph. Can you proceed?

Thanks I got it now, d=3(5) 15!

Another approach would be to initially put Joan at the origin and Anthony at $d$. Disnaces are in miles and time in hours. And then:

Joan's position as a function of time is:

\(\displaystyle J(t)=15t\)

Anthony's position as a function of time is:

\(\displaystyle A(t)=12t+d\)

Now, we are told they meet in 5 hours, or:

\(\displaystyle J(5)=A(5)\)

\(\displaystyle 15(5)=12(5)+d\)

\(\displaystyle d=15(5)-12(5)=3(5)(5-4)=15\)

Joppy said:
Hi 816318, could you expand on what you intend the d = rt formula to mean? Maybe i should know from experience.. I'm thinking distance equals something by time.. Ha :p. I'll feel silly when i realize, but we have to know for sure!
distance traveled= rate of travel times time traveled.

You may know it better as "d= vt" where "v" is now "velocity".

Related to ACT Problem: Distance, Rate and Time

What is the formula for solving distance, rate, and time problems?

The formula for solving distance, rate, and time problems is distance = rate x time. This means that to find the distance traveled, you multiply the rate (speed) by the time it took to travel that distance.

What units should be used for distance, rate, and time?

The units used for distance, rate, and time should be consistent. For example, if the distance is measured in miles, then the rate should be in miles per hour and the time should be in hours. It is also important to convert units if necessary to ensure consistency.

How can I solve for rate if I know the distance and time?

To solve for rate (speed), you can use the formula rate = distance / time. This means that to find the rate, you divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

What should I do if the units are different in a distance, rate, and time problem?

If the units are different in a distance, rate, and time problem, you should first convert them to be consistent. For example, if the distance is in kilometers and the rate is in meters per second, you should convert the distance to meters or the rate to kilometers per second to ensure consistency.

How can I use a distance, rate, and time problem to solve for the missing variable?

To solve for the missing variable in a distance, rate, and time problem, you can use the formula that involves all three variables. For example, if you know the distance and rate, you can solve for time using the formula time = distance / rate. If you know the distance and time, you can solve for rate using the formula rate = distance / time. And if you know the rate and time, you can solve for distance using the formula distance = rate x time.