Acoustics: Plane Wave Homework | Expressions, Equations & Solutions

• Thread starter roldy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation is about solving a two part problem regarding a plane wave and finding expressions for the acoustic Mach number in terms of various variables. The first part involves finding the Mach number in terms of pressure, density, and speed of sound, while the second part involves finding the acoustic density, particle speed, and velocity potential from a given equation for pressure. The person is struggling to understand the material and is seeking help.
roldy

Homework Statement

Two part problem

(1)
For a plane wave [tex]\vec{u}=Ue^{j(\omega{t}-kx)}[/tex].
Find expressions for the acoustic Mach number U/c in terms of...
(a) P, [tex]\rho_o[/tex], and c.
(b) s

(2)
If [tex]\vec{p}=Pe^{j(\omega{t}-kx)}[/tex] find,
(a) the acoustic density
(b) the particle speed
(c) the velocity potential

Homework Equations

[tex]
c=\sqrt{\gamm,a{R}T}
P=\rho{R}{T}
\Phi=j\left(\frac{P}{\rho_o}e^{j(\omega{t}-kx)}
P=-\rho\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial t}
\vec{u}=\nabla{\Phi}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)
I have no idea how to start this. I've been reading the class notes (which are horrible) and the book (horrible as well) and I couldn't find anything that would help me get started. I've tried searching on google but I was given the run around. Any help would be awesome.

(2)
I've only come this far...

(a)
[tex]
\rho-\rho_o=\frac{1}{c_o^2}\tilde{p}
=\frac{1}{c_o^2}Pe^{j(\omega{t}-kx)}
[/tex]

(b) I know I can probably figure this one out if I knew how to do part (1). I just need to rework the pressure equation in terms of velocity. Am I correct in this assumption.

(c)
[tex]
\nabla\times\vec{u}=0
\vec{u}=\nabla\Phi
[/tex]

I wish I could of showed more on these problems but I'm really lost with this material.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any suggestions?

Related to Acoustics: Plane Wave Homework | Expressions, Equations & Solutions

What is a plane wave in acoustics?

A plane wave in acoustics is a type of sound wave that propagates in a specific direction with constant amplitude and phase. It is characterized by its frequency, wavelength, and direction of travel.

How do you calculate the wavelength of a plane wave?

The wavelength of a plane wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of sound by the frequency of the wave. It is represented by the symbol λ and is measured in meters.

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in a plane wave?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional in a plane wave. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation λ = c/f, where c is the speed of sound and f is the frequency.

How does the amplitude of a plane wave affect its loudness?

The amplitude of a plane wave is directly related to its loudness. A higher amplitude corresponds to a louder sound, while a lower amplitude results in a quieter sound. The amplitude is measured in decibels (dB) and is determined by the intensity of the sound wave.

What is the difference between a plane wave and a spherical wave?

A plane wave propagates in a straight line, while a spherical wave expands outward in all directions from its source. Additionally, a plane wave has a constant amplitude and phase, while a spherical wave decreases in amplitude as it travels further from its source.