Acoustic Wave & CMB: Exploring Anisotropy & 7 Peaks

In summary: Because we're looking at a 3D plasma from the 2D surface of last scattering, we see a 2D projection of these 3D waves.This is why we see peaks: the photons that decoupled from the plasma during a compression are hotter, and those that did so during a stretch are cooler. We see maxima and minima in the temperature pattern that was imprinted on the CMB. This is the acoustic wave pattern.
Madster
Dear all,

many people refer to the CMB anisotropy picture by WMAP or Plack and call it acoustic waves. I thought there is the anisotropy of the CMB radiation plotted, what exactly can I imagine to be the acoustic wave of it?

Secondly, what exactly is plotted n the famous plot where the wave number l is on the x-axis and I got those 7 peaks, where observers fit the whole cosmological parameters.

thank you very much

Space news on Phys.org
Madster said:
Dear all,

many people refer to the CMB anisotropy picture by WMAP or Plack and call it acoustic waves. I thought there is the anisotropy of the CMB radiation plotted, what exactly can I imagine to be the acoustic wave of it?
In short, both explanation are correct. The temperature of the CMB is not homogeneous. This is because there were perturbations in the spatial curvature in the early universe that acted like small potential wells. The early universe was filled with baryons and photons, and it was hot enough that the photons were tightly coupled to the baryons: as they baryons tried to fall into the potential wells, the photons would push back out (photons essentially don't like to clump). This back and forth -- gravity pulling the baryons in, photons pushing them out -- resulted in compressional waves in the baryon-photon plasma.

Then the photons decouple when the universe cools a bit below the binding energy of hydrogen. Now free, the photons stream across the universe comprising what we measure today as the CMB. Because these photons are (more or less) undisturbed since way back when they decoupled, they retain the signatures of the oscillations -- photons that were in the middle of a compression when they decoupled are hot, those that were in a rarefaction are cold(er).

The CMB arrives on Earth today appearing to have been emitted from the inside surface of a giant sphere with Earth at the center (the surface of last scattering). Due to the inhomogeneities, the temperature of the photons is anisotropic -- hence "temperature anisotropies".

Now, the CMB is complicated. Indeed, a dominant feature is the acoustic peaks at l > 200 or so. But, there are other things that lead to anisotropies, and it's the job of CMB cosmologists to disentangle all of these effects so that important parameters describing the evolution of the universe can be measured.

I have to run now, but I'll try to explain more about the famous CMB plot later.

Madster said:
Dear all,

Secondly, what exactly is plotted n the famous plot where the wave number l is on the x-axis and I got those 7 peaks, where observers fit the whole cosmological parameters.

thank you very much
I'll try to drop my own explanation, and try to make it concise: the early universe was a plasma, and sound (acoustic) waves propagated through said plasma. Sound waves are compression waves: some places end up being compressed together, other places stretched apart. The parts that are compressed heat up. The parts that are stretched cool down.

When we look at the CMB, we see a snapshot of this plasma at the time the plasma cooled into a gas and became transparent. So we see an imprint of just how these acoustic waves had compressed/stretched the very early universe.

Related to Acoustic Wave & CMB: Exploring Anisotropy & 7 Peaks

1. What is an acoustic wave in the context of the CMB?

An acoustic wave, also known as a sound wave, is a type of longitudinal wave that travels through a medium by causing particles in the medium to vibrate. In the context of the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB), acoustic waves are responsible for the formation of the anisotropies observed in the CMB.

2. How do acoustic waves contribute to the anisotropy of the CMB?

During the early universe, acoustic waves were created by the pressure and density fluctuations in the primordial plasma. These waves traveled through the universe and left imprints in the CMB, resulting in the observed anisotropies. The peaks in the anisotropy pattern correspond to the different wavelengths of the acoustic waves at the time of recombination.

3. What is the significance of the 7 peaks in the anisotropy pattern of the CMB?

The 7 peaks in the anisotropy pattern of the CMB correspond to the different harmonics of the acoustic waves that were present in the early universe. The positions and heights of these peaks provide valuable information about the properties of the universe, such as its geometry, density, and expansion rate.

4. How do scientists explore the anisotropy and 7 peaks of the CMB?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, such as satellite observations and ground-based telescopes, to map the anisotropy and measure the properties of the 7 peaks in the CMB. They also use sophisticated data analysis methods, such as Fourier transforms and statistical analysis, to extract valuable information from the CMB data.

5. What insights can be gained from studying the acoustic wave and CMB anisotropy?

Studying the acoustic wave and CMB anisotropy provides valuable insights into the early universe, its evolution, and the fundamental properties of the universe. It helps us understand the origin of structure in the universe and provides evidence for the Big Bang theory. It also helps us to test and refine our theories of cosmology and particle physics.