How can you show the CMB shift parameter?

In summary: However, they state that the shift parameter is related to the position of the first acoustic peak (located at l=100), and that it can either shift the peak to the left or the right. They state that the 1.7 number is found in this same paper as the angular diameter distance of the "surface" of photon decoupling as a constant multiplied by the shift parameter. The position of the first peak would then change depending on the value of the shift parameter.
shadi_s10
Dealing with CMB, people sometimes refer to the shift parameter;
R = \sqrt{\frac{\Omega^0_m}{\Omega^0_k}}sinh(\sqrt{\Omega^0_k}\int^{z_{dec}}_{0}{\frac{dz}{E(z)}})

I know that it is related to the position of the first acoustic peak, however, the amount is around 1.7.
What does this mean?!
does it mean without Dark Energy, the peak would be shifted 1.7 in the x-axis (the multipole moment) of the CMB anisotropy spectrum?!
To the right or left?!
I think it should be around l=100 or something, so does this mean without Dark Energy, the theory would show a CMB shift parameter shifted about 1.7? like 100\pm1.7?!

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Could you please put your equation in [TeX] tags so we can read it?

Chalnoth said:
Could you please put your equation in [TeX] tags so we can read it?

sure, sorry for the last one!
\begin{equation} R = \sqrt{\frac{\Omega^0_m}{\Omega^0_k}}sinh(\sqrt{\Omega^0_k}\int^{z_{dec}}_{0}{\frac{dz}{E(z)}}) \end{equation}

I did find this paper:
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0702343

They explain that this "shift parameter" is used as one of two parameters determining the location of the first acoustic peak, the other being the baryon density. This seems pretty reasonable if you consider that the sound horizon is set largely by the baryon density, and the rest of the factors that go into the first peak are an estimate of the geometry of the universe between us and the CMB, which is determined by the expansion history between us and the CMB.

As for the parameter itself, it is very similar to a distance. In fact, it looks like it is exactly the comoving distance times ##\sqrt{\Omega_m^0}/D_H##, where ##D_H = c / H##

Chalnoth said:
I did find this paper:
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0702343

They explain that this "shift parameter" is used as one of two parameters determining the location of the first acoustic peak, the other being the baryon density. This seems pretty reasonable if you consider that the sound horizon is set largely by the baryon density, and the rest of the factors that go into the first peak are an estimate of the geometry of the universe between us and the CMB, which is determined by the expansion history between us and the CMB.

As for the parameter itself, it is very similar to a distance. In fact, it looks like it is exactly the comoving distance times ##\sqrt{\Omega_m^0}/D_H##, where ##D_H = c / H##

Thanks for the explanations.
However, I still don't get the 1.7 number!

I agree that it somehow shows some kind of distance, however, if you see
" L. Amendola and S. Tsujikawa. Dark Energy: Theory and Observations",
they claim that the shift parameter is about 1.7.

What I want to know is :
- Does this number mean that if one does not choose a suitable model (like Lambda CDM), theoretically the first peak would move and of course this is not in agreement with observations?
If yes, in which direction would it move? to the left or right, to the top or bottom?

- In the CMB power spectrum, we have the anisotropy power on one axis and the multipole moment on the other one.
The first peak looks to be of order 10^3 in the anisotropy power axis and 10^2 on the multipole moment axis.
Is this 1.7 related to the horizontal axis or the vertical one?

I think I found it!
In the paper that you mentioned above, they say the location of the first peak is given by
\begin{equation} l_a \approx \pi \frac{d_A(z_r)}{r_s(a_r)}\end{equation}
where
\begin{equation} d_A = R/\sqrt{\Omega_m}\end{equation}
So this way the shift parameter would change the position of the first peak on the horizontal axis (the multipole moment).
Am I right?

Last edited:
shadi_s10 said:
I think I found it!
In the paper that you mentioned above, they say the location of the first peak is given by
\begin{equation} l_a \approx \pi \frac{d_A(z_r)}{r_s(a_r)}\end{equation}
where
\begin{equation} d_A = R/\sqrt{\Omega_m}\end{equation}
So this way the shift parameter would change the position of the first peak on the horizontal axis (the multipole moment).
Am I right?
This is also given in the book "Dark Energy: Theory and Observations" by Amendola and Tsujikawa that you already referenced; see equation (5.31) and (5.33). See also equation (5.32), which expresses the angular diameter distance of the "surface" of photon decoupling as a constant multiplied by the shift parameter. Thus, the positions of peaks depend on the shift parameter. Equation (5.40) expresses results in terms of the shift parameter and the sound horizon, as noted by Chalnoth.

At first glance, the discussion on pages of 97 - 101 of Amendola and Tsujikawa appears to be quite good.

George Jones said:
This is also given in the book "Dark Energy: Theory and Observations" by Amendola and Tsujikawa that you already referenced; see equation (5.31) and (5.33). See also equation (5.32), which expresses the angular diameter distance of the "surface" of photon decoupling as a constant multiplied by the shift parameter. Thus, the positions of peaks depend on the shift parameter. Equation (5.40) expresses results in terms of the shift parameter and the sound horizon, as noted by Chalnoth.

At first glance, the discussion on pages of 97 - 101 of Amendola and Tsujikawa appears to be quite good.

You are right.
I have read the book before but I got lost between all the equations.
Sometimes, asking and discussing, things get more clear.

Thanks again!

Related to How can you show the CMB shift parameter?

1. What is the CMB shift parameter?

The CMB (cosmic microwave background) shift parameter, also known as the redshift parameter, is a measure of the expansion rate of the universe. It is calculated by comparing the temperature of the CMB radiation to a theoretical reference temperature.

2. Why is the CMB shift parameter important?

The CMB shift parameter provides valuable information about the early universe and the expansion of the universe. It can also help determine the composition of the universe and test theories about its evolution.

3. How do you calculate the CMB shift parameter?

The CMB shift parameter is calculated using the formula: θs = rs/D(z*) where θs is the angular size of the sound horizon at the surface of last scattering, rs is the comoving sound horizon at the surface of last scattering, and D(z*) is the angular distance to the surface of last scattering.

4. What does the CMB shift parameter tell us about the universe?

The CMB shift parameter provides information about the geometry and expansion rate of the universe, as well as the amount of matter and dark energy present. It can also help determine the age of the universe and test various cosmological models.

5. How is the CMB shift parameter measured?

The CMB shift parameter is measured through observations of the CMB radiation using telescopes and satellites. The CMB radiation is a remnant of the Big Bang and can be observed in all directions in the sky. By analyzing the temperature and polarization patterns of the CMB, scientists can calculate the CMB shift parameter and other cosmological parameters.