Acoustic communication impossible in even-D

In summary, acoustic communication is impossible in even-D due to the distorted and unpredictable nature of sound in this environment. This form of communication relies on the transmission and reception of sound waves, which are greatly affected by the uneven surfaces and constant movement of even-D. This makes it difficult for organisms to accurately interpret and respond to acoustic signals, making other forms of communication more effective in this type of environment.
atyy
Science Advisor
Arnold, an in interview with Lui in Notices of the AMS, Volume 44, no 4, p432 says:

"It is a far-reaching generalization of the well-known fact of the impossibility of acoustic communication in the even-dimensional spaces (for instance, in the “plane” world), while in our three-dimensional world we communicate easily."

What is he referring to?

Physics news on Phys.org
atyy said:
What is he referring to?

My first guess would be LSD.

Danger said:
My first guess would be LSD.

:confused: I can't tell if you are pulling my leg!

atyy said:
:confused: I can't tell if you are pulling my leg!

Hey, now... it's me. Of course I am. (Jeez, do I have to put smilies on everything?)

Danger said:
Hey, now... it's me. Of course I am. (Jeez, do I have to put smilies on everything?)

Well, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a brilliant insight about Lorentz Specific Dimensions ...

Anyway, here's more context - it has something to do with lacunas of hyperbolic PDEs.

"Petrovskii was no longer active in mathematics. However, he was extremely important for the Moscow mathematical community, always trying to support genuine mathematicians in difficult fights with the Communist Party.

His mathematical taste was rather classical, based on the Italian school of algebraic geometry more than the set-theoretic conceptions. Sir Michael Atiyah once told me that he was always delighted by the way Petrovskii dealt with algebraic geometry in his works on PDEs. One of these, the paper on the lacunas of hyperbolic PDEs, was later rewritten by Atiyah, Bott, and Gårding in modern terminology in two long papers in Acta Mathematica. It is a far-reaching generalization of the well-known fact of the impossibility of acoustic communication in the even-dimensional spaces (for instance, in the “plane” world), while in our three-dimensional world we communicate easily. It is interesting that in this paper, Petrovskii proved that the cohomology classes of the complement of an algebraic variety are representable by rational differential forms—a result which is usually attributed to Grothendieck."

Last edited:
Looks like Wikipedia has an article and links about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrovsky_lacuna

The Petrovsky article linked to says:

"This circumstance implies the fact that in case p is odd the spherical wave produced in a small neighbourhood of a point Q ... has the property that both its front and back edges are sharp. As to the case where p is even or p = 1, only the front edge of such a wave is sharp, while the back edge is diffuse. In the first case it is said that there is no diffusion of waves ... in the second case — that the diffusion of waves takes place."

atyy said:
Well, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a brilliant insight about Lorentz Specific Dimensions ...

That's the last thing that you need to worry about when you see a post from me.
As most folks here know, I have a grade 9 math level. Nothing that you wrote makes any sense to me. (I can figure out the volume of a cylinder, but that's about the extent of my numerical talents.)

Danger said:
That's the last thing that you need to worry about when you see a post from me.
As most folks here know, I have a grade 9 math level. Nothing that you wrote makes any sense to me. (I can figure out the volume of a cylinder, but that's about the extent of my numerical talents.)

How about the volume of a cone?

atyy said:
How about the volume of a cone?

:redface:

Here's another description, maybe more readable.

http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~gessl/georg_papers/FA05-DrumSim.pdf
"Wakes are the content of a wave field after the point of first arrival, the wavefront, has passed. ...

The study of the existence and basic properties of wakes goes back to Petrovsky and has somewhat later been deepened by Atiyah, Bott and Gårding [2, 3]. If a wavefront does not create a wake, they call it a lacuna. It is known since Volterra, that the wave equation in even spatial dimensions creates wakes, whereas in odd spatial dimensions greater or equal three it doesn’t. The one dimensional wave equation constitutes a special case, as a step function is the correct response to velocity excitations hence there is a “wake-like” influence after the impulsive propagation"

Related to Acoustic communication impossible in even-D

What is acoustic communication impossible in even-D?

Acoustic communication impossible in even-D is a phenomenon in which certain organisms living in a specific dimension are unable to communicate through sound due to the unique properties of their environment.

What causes acoustic communication to be impossible in even-D?

The main cause of acoustic communication being impossible in even-D is the lack of a suitable medium for sound to travel through. In even-D, the medium may be too dense, too thin, or non-existent, making it nearly impossible for sound waves to propagate.

Are there any alternative forms of communication in even-D?

Yes, organisms in even-D have evolved alternative forms of communication such as visual signals, chemical signals, and tactile signals. These forms of communication are more effective in the unique environment of even-D.

Can organisms living in even-D develop the ability to communicate through sound?

It is possible for organisms in even-D to evolve the ability to communicate through sound if the environment changes to allow for it. However, this would require a significant shift in the physical properties of the dimension, which may not occur naturally.

How does acoustic communication affect the behavior and survival of organisms in even-D?

The lack of acoustic communication in even-D can have a significant impact on the behavior and survival of organisms. It may limit their ability to find mates, communicate danger, and coordinate group activities. However, the development of alternative forms of communication has allowed these organisms to adapt and thrive in their unique environment.