Acid, Base, and Le'Chatelier's Principle

In summary, the experiment resulted in the pink color change because of the addition of phenolphthlein. The pink color change was due to the fact that AgNO_3 was added, which made the solution more basic.
IBY
I recently did an experiment with the following reaction:
[tex]NH_4^+ + OH^-[/tex]<-->[tex]NH_3+H_2O[/tex]
I added phenolphthlein, which is magenta in the presence of base.

Now, I have to explain, after adding certain chemicals why I have certain color. The one color change I am having trouble explaining, though, is adding [tex]AgNO_3[/tex].
From a clear transparent pink, it went to a foggy pink. The fogginess is due to the Ag precipitate. But it is the pink I am having trouble explaining, since [tex]NO_3^-[/tex] is not a component of the reaction above.

The way I explained it is that [tex]NO_3^-[/tex] is a conjugate base of [tex]HNO_3[/tex], so there is a basic substance added, and this turns the phth slightly pinkish.

The question is, is my answer right, or is there something more to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, NO3- is too weak a base to be able to change solution pH.

However, I don't understand what you don't understand - solution was alkaline before (pink) and after adding AgNO3 its pH has not changed. Why do you need additional base to keep the solution alkaline?

--

What happened previously is that the solution is clear, meaning it is not basic enough to affect the phth because I have added HCl before that.

Now, the point of the experiment is to see how the color changes, and then explain why it changed that way.

So, here is how I did things. I added NH4Cl, which turned clear.

Then, I added NaOh, which turned magenta.

Then I added HCl, which turned clear again.

Finally, I added AgNO3, which turned the solution pinkish.

I have already explained why for all the first three reactions. But I don't know how to explain the last reaction, the AgNO3 one. As you said, [tex]NO_3^-[/tex] is too weak to change the basicness of the solution. So how did it turn more basic, then?

No idea what have happened. There are several competing reactions possible - ammonia protonation, Ag+ complexation, AgCl & AgOH precipitation - but none of them could substantially increase pH.

Could be change in color can be effect of phenolphthaleine being absorbed on the AgCl surface - please read final paragraphs of this page - but I don't remember reading about php reacting this way.

--
methods

It couldn't even have made the shade even light pink? Oh well.

By the way, if AgOH is precipitated, then doesn't that shift the equilibrium towards the reactant, to the side of the magenta which is [tex]NH_4^+ +OH^-[/tex], according to Le'Chatelier's Principle?

Can't say I understand your logic. If anything AgOH precipitation removes OH- from the solution, lowering pH.

--

Yeah, but there is an equilibrium in the reaction, which means there is an equilibrium constant. That means that when OH- is removed, the reaction will move to match the equilibrium constant. This means that removing a certain quantity of a component moves the reaction towards the part where the component is. This also means that once equilibrium is reached, there is less of the stuff on the other side of the equation. Again, I invoked Le'Chatelier's principle.

Please write precisely which reaction, which equation, what equilibrium and what components. At the moment it is not possible to follow your thinking - you are wrong at some point, but your description is so vague that it is impossible to pinpoint the problem down.

--

Related to Acid, Base, and Le'Chatelier's Principle

1. What is the definition of an acid?

An acid is a substance that donates hydrogen ions (H+) in a chemical reaction. It typically has a sour taste and can corrode certain materials.

2. How is a base defined?

A base is a substance that accepts hydrogen ions (H+) in a chemical reaction. It typically has a bitter taste and can feel slippery to the touch.

3. What is the purpose of Le'Chatelier's Principle?

Le'Chatelier's Principle states that when a system in equilibrium is subjected to a change, it will adjust to minimize the effects of that change and return to equilibrium.

4. How does adding a strong acid affect the pH of a solution?

Adding a strong acid to a solution will decrease its pH, making it more acidic. This is because the acid will increase the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

5. What happens to the equilibrium of a reaction when a catalyst is added?

Adding a catalyst does not affect the equilibrium of a reaction. It only speeds up the rate at which the reaction reaches equilibrium by lowering the activation energy needed for the reaction to occur.