Why Does Copper Hydroxide Behave Differently with Ammonia in Reactions?

The last reaction is a combination of two previous reactions, copper hydroxide precipitates at first, then dissolves in ammonia, and finally forms tetraammine copper complex. In summary, the reactions described involve the formation and dissolution of copper hydroxide and the formation of a tetraammine copper complex when mixed with ammonia.
cp255
I'm having trouble understanding the following reactions we did in lab and I am not sure our data is very good.

CuSO4 + NaOH yields a blue precipitate. Which I understand is Cu(OH)2. I get this.

Next we add NH3 to the solution above and nothing obvious changes. I think the precipitate may have dissolved. What is happening here?

After this we created a new solution but this time we added CuSO4 to the NH3 and then we added the NaOH. Yet again we just got a blue solution and I am not sure what happened.

Finally we just mixed NH3 and CuSO4 which produced a light blue precipitate.

Can someone please explain to me what is going on in all three reaction above.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right about copper hydroxide.

Copper hydroxide dissolves in ammonia, producing tetraammine copper complex. When you add small amount of ammonia initially hydroxide precipitates, when you add more ammonia precipitate dissolves and solution becomes dark blue.

Related to Why Does Copper Hydroxide Behave Differently with Ammonia in Reactions?

What is a Lewis acid?

A Lewis acid is a type of chemical species that can accept a pair of electrons from another species during a chemical reaction. It is typically a positively charged atom or molecule that is electron-deficient.

What is a Lewis base?

A Lewis base is a type of chemical species that can donate a pair of electrons to another species during a chemical reaction. It is typically a negatively charged atom or molecule that is electron-rich.

What is a Lewis acid-base reaction?

A Lewis acid-base reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which a Lewis acid and a Lewis base react to form a new product. The Lewis acid accepts a pair of electrons from the Lewis base, forming a new bond between the two species.

What is the difference between a Lewis acid-base reaction and a traditional acid-base reaction?

The main difference between a Lewis acid-base reaction and a traditional acid-base reaction is the definition of an acid and a base. In traditional acid-base reactions, an acid is a species that donates a proton (H+) and a base is a species that accepts a proton. In Lewis acid-base reactions, an acid is a species that accepts a pair of electrons and a base is a species that donates a pair of electrons.

What are some common examples of Lewis acid-base reactions?

Some common examples of Lewis acid-base reactions include the reaction between boron trifluoride (Lewis acid) and ammonia (Lewis base) to form the compound ammonium trifluoroborate, and the reaction between aluminum chloride (Lewis acid) and water (Lewis base) to form aluminum hydroxide.