Accuracy of Temperature Sensors: Random Error or Intrinsic?

In summary, there is something intrinsic to the sensor that can contribute to inaccuracy, but it is not always random. For example, a sensor may have a lower than expected accuracy due to bias errors in the manufacturing process.
Vulgar
Hi,

why does a sensor, eg a temperature sensor, have an accuracy? Is it just because of a random error, or something intrinsic to the sensor itself and is it related with the resolution?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps if you were to explain your question more fully ?

Your question is VERY general, and therefore hard to give any worthwhile answer. It appears that your main question may be whether there is something such as "random error" that can account for inaccuracy in ANY type of measurement. I don't know enough about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_theory" to tell you if there is an answer, but maybe by helping to clarify your question someone else can help you

BTW- There are many different types of temperature sensors and each one of those has it's own limitations. These are really practical applications, which don't apply across the board to measurement itself. I only bring it up to tell you that even within each measured variable there are a very wide variety of ways to obtain that measurement, which means even though you say temperature you still really didn't specify anything. If you were to specify what type such as thermocouple, RTD, IR, thermometer, etc. then we could talk about practical limitations, but I'm guessing that's not what you are really asking.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is general because I guess there is a general answer, but I don't mind talking about one type of temperature sensor, eg. an RTD sensor. Say the specification of the sensor says for accuracy +- 0,01°C. What is the cause of this (in)accuracy. Is it because of a linear fit, when really the calibration curve is non linear? Or does it have to do with resolution, i.e. the smallest detectable change or can it be explained by information theory like you suggest or other things

My question is general because I guess there is a general answer,

I'm sorry to disappoint you but there is no general answer. If you ever find one, please let us know.

There is a whole theory of errors in engineering statistics. There is a whole branch of science devoted to this subject viz metrology.

This is because errors can come from many causes. One of the important things to understand is the idea of random errors, since you mentioned them

Take a 6 inch nail as a simple example. What % are exactly 6.00 inches long and what does this mean? Why is this so?

In your sensor example the answer is the same as with the nail - manufacturing imperfections.

But as noted above these imperfections need not be random.

Every reading from your sensor may be 0.005 deg low and the sensor still within specification.
Is the low reading therefore an error?

Every nail may be 0.005" short. It may be that the machine that cuts the nails is set wrong so the error is not random.

go well

You mostly describe bias errors, which can be removed well with calibration i think. Random errors can be caused with unexpected things, for instance wind breezes for temperature sensors, or other things.

But say you have a sensor which always gives you a temperature of 0,5°C lower than the actual temperature, you can easily correct it by including a term +0,5°C.

But say you remove all external factors like wind breezes, and such, and there is no bias or manufacturing imperfections, you have an area with a perfect set temperature, a perfect thermodynamical equilbrium and so on, and if you put a sensor in there with an accuracy of let's say +-0,01°C, what is the cause of this uncertainty. You can never measure the true value, but what in the sensor is responsible for the 0,01°C accuracy. I like S_Happens idea that it might be a limit imposed by information theory.

Since you have (now) specified a perfect world, information theory returns perfect answers.

S_happens, like myself, asked for more detail.

Like I said this is a huge subject which has to deal with possible sources of error in

the measurand itself,
the measurement path
the measurement method
reading and recording and data processing
repeatability

Related to Accuracy of Temperature Sensors: Random Error or Intrinsic?

1. What is the difference between random error and intrinsic error in temperature sensors?

Random error refers to the unpredictable and uncontrollable fluctuations in measurements, while intrinsic error is inherent in the design or construction of the temperature sensor itself.

2. How can we determine if a temperature sensor has random or intrinsic error?

The best way to determine the type of error in a temperature sensor is through a calibration process. This involves comparing the sensor's readings to a known standard temperature and analyzing the differences.

3. Can both random and intrinsic errors occur in the same temperature sensor?

Yes, it is possible for a temperature sensor to have both random and intrinsic errors. Random errors can occur due to external factors such as environmental conditions, while intrinsic errors can be caused by flaws in the sensor's design or materials.

4. How can we reduce random and intrinsic errors in temperature sensors?

To reduce random errors, it is important to minimize external influences on the sensor, such as vibrations or electromagnetic interference. To reduce intrinsic errors, careful design and manufacturing processes, as well as regular calibrations, can help improve the accuracy of the sensor.

5. What are the consequences of using a temperature sensor with high levels of random or intrinsic error?

Using a temperature sensor with high levels of random or intrinsic error can lead to inaccurate measurements, which can result in incorrect conclusions or decisions being made. This is particularly important in scientific or industrial settings where precise temperature readings are crucial.