Acceptable format of a Research Staement?

In summary: My statement?I applied for a Ph.D, not "MASc", and it was in physics, not engineering, and I went to a university in the US, not Canada. And I also did this in 1993, not 2018. How relevant do you think the format (there was no format) of my statement will be to your case?
CivilSigma
I have read online that a research statement should follow an essay format.
However, I am having a hard time transitioning from my introductory paragraph into my main body paragraphs. So, I was wondering if it would be possible to section my essay as follows:

[Introductory Text Here]

Academic Profile
[Paragraphs]

Professional Profile
[Paragraphs]

Research Interests
[Paragraphs]

Conclusion
[Paragraphs]

Would this be acceptable, or should I re-work my essay to not include headings?
Since I am writing about 3 pages, I feel like headings help clearly identify the topics that will be discussed and generate white space to make the paper easier to read.

Also, is there specific paper formatting I need to follow? (Double space vs. Single etc.?)

Thank you for your input, I highly appreciate it !

Edit:
I am writing this as part of my application to a MASc. in Civil Engineering. I will be submitting it along with my application to the University (Canada). The university I am applying to does not have any particular outline/format to follow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CivilSigma said:
I have read online that a research statement should follow an essay format.
However, I am having a hard time transitioning from my introductory paragraph into my main body paragraphs. So, I was wondering if it would be possible to section my essay as follows:
Would this be acceptable, or should I re-work my essay to not include headings?
Since I am writing about 3 pages, I feel like headings help clearly identify the topics that will be discussed and generate white space to make the paper easier to read.

Also, is there specific paper formatting I need to follow? (Double space vs. Single etc.?)

Thank you for your input, I highly appreciate it !

This is VERY vague. What are you writing this for, or to where are you submitting this?

If you are writing a journal paper, then the journal will have its own specific requirement. There is no single universal style!

If you are writing this to seek funding, then look at the requirement of that funding agency.

Otherwise, you need to include a lot more information in your post than what you had already written.

Zz.

Likes CivilSigma
Thank you Zapper, I am writing this as part of my MASc. in Civil Engineering application for graduate studies at a Canadian university.

CivilSigma said:
Thank you Zapper, I am writing this as part of my MASc. in Civil Engineering application for graduate studies at a Canadian university.

Then you should get the info on the format and style from them.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Then you should get the info on the format and style from them.

Zz.

Can I ask the format/length you followed in your statement ?

CivilSigma said:
Can I ask the format/length you followed in your statement ?

My statement?

I applied for a Ph.D, not "MASc", and it was in physics, not engineering, and I went to a university in the US, not Canada. And I also did this in 1993, not 2018. How relevant do you think the format (there was no format) of my statement will be to your case?

Zz.

Related to Acceptable format of a Research Staement?

1. What is the purpose of a research statement?

A research statement is a document that outlines your research interests, experiences, and future plans in a clear and concise manner. It is typically requested as part of a job or grant application and serves to showcase your expertise and potential as a researcher.

2. How long should a research statement be?

The length of a research statement can vary depending on the specific requirements of the application. However, it is generally recommended to keep it between 1-2 pages in length. It should be long enough to provide a thorough overview of your research background and interests, but not too long that it becomes overwhelming for the reader.

3. What should be included in a research statement?

A research statement should include a brief introduction to your research background and interests, a summary of your previous research experiences and accomplishments, a description of your current or proposed research projects, and a conclusion that highlights the potential impact of your research. It should also include any relevant publications, presentations, or awards related to your research.

4. Is there a specific format for a research statement?

There is no one specific format for a research statement, as it can vary depending on the application requirements. However, it is important to follow any specific guidelines provided by the organization or institution requesting the statement. Generally, a research statement should be well-organized, concise, and easy to read with clear headings and subheadings.

5. How can I make my research statement stand out?

To make your research statement stand out, it is important to clearly articulate your research interests and goals in a compelling and concise manner. Use specific examples to demonstrate your expertise and highlight any unique experiences or accomplishments. Additionally, make sure to tailor your statement to the specific application and the organization or institution you are applying to. This will show that you have done your research and are genuinely interested in the position or opportunity.