Accelerometer Project Design Help

In summary, a person is looking to create a device that can sense vibrations and numerically count them on a digital display. They are considering using a pedometer's circuit board for this purpose but are having trouble finding someone to help with the project. They are also exploring other methods, such as using accelerometers.
wdmccall
Hey, I'm in the process of creating a device that when attached to an object can sense vibrations(not sensitive) then numercially counter each occurence on a digital display on the device. I'm trying to make the device about 2in x 2in. I need some help making the circuit board and was wondering if I could take apart a pedometer and use its board with a new display screen? This isn't my field and I'm trying to find someone locally to help me but I'm not having any luck. If anyone has any thoughts or information let me know! Thanks! Wes

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can't find the right part

Hey, I'm looking for something that can sense a vibration(low sensitivity) and numerically count the number of times the vibration occurs on a digital display. I've been looking at accelerometers using dynamic force. Are there any other ways to get this outcome?

wdmccall said:
Hey, I'm in the process of creating a device that when attached to an object can sense vibrations(not sensitive) then numercially counter each occurence on a digital display on the device. I'm trying to make the device about 2in x 2in. I need some help making the circuit board and was wondering if I could take apart a pedometer and use its board with a new display screen? This isn't my field and I'm trying to find someone locally to help me but I'm not having any luck. If anyone has any thoughts or information let me know! Thanks! Wes

(two threads merged)

Welcome to the PF. Depending on the pedometer, you might be able to take it apart and use some parts of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedometer

Related to Accelerometer Project Design Help

1. What is an accelerometer and what does it measure?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures acceleration, or changes in velocity over time. It typically measures acceleration in three axes: X, Y, and Z.

2. What is the purpose of an accelerometer project?

The purpose of an accelerometer project is to use the sensor to collect data on acceleration and analyze it to gain insights into the movement, vibration, and orientation of an object or system.

3. How do you design an accelerometer project?

Designing an accelerometer project involves several steps, including selecting the appropriate sensor, determining the placement of the sensor, calibrating the sensor, and analyzing the collected data. It also involves considering the specific goals and objectives of the project and planning the data collection and analysis accordingly.

4. What are some common challenges in designing an accelerometer project?

One common challenge is ensuring the accuracy and precision of the sensor readings. This may involve proper calibration and accounting for external factors that could affect the readings. Another challenge is selecting the appropriate sample rate and data analysis techniques to achieve the desired results.

5. How can I apply the results of an accelerometer project?

The results of an accelerometer project can be applied in various fields, including engineering, sports science, and health monitoring. They can provide valuable insights into the movement and behavior of objects and systems, which can be used to optimize performance, prevent injury, and improve overall efficiency.