Acceleration of a speck around a circle

In summary, the grinding wheel has a diameter of 0.5 m and rotates at a rate of 8.00 x 10^2 revolutions per minute. Using the equation a=4pi^2r/T^2, with a period of 0.075 seconds, the acceleration of a speck of metal caught in the outer edge of the wheel is 1750 m/s^2. The period should be smaller than one and is calculated by dividing 60 seconds by 800 revolutions.
Lori

Homework Statement

a grinding wheel 0.5 m in diameter roates at a rate of 8.00 x 10^2 revolutions per minute. find the magnitude of the acceleration of a speck of metal cuaght in the outer edge of the wheel

Homework Equations

a=4pi^2r/T^2

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering if i used the right equation?
To get T (time for one revolution) i divided 60 seconds by 800 revolutions .I plugged that into my equation for acceleration along with .25 m radius. The answer i get is 1750 m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your work?
I think your T may be off.

Yes the formula is correct.

NFuller said:
Yes the formula is correct.
OK, but is the answer?

DaveC426913 said:
I think your T may be off. If 800 revs take a minute, how many revs in a second? It should be larger than one.
The period should be smaller than one.
$$T=\frac{60\text{s}}{800\text{rev}}=0.075\text{s}$$
Using this period I get the same answer as Lori.

NFuller said:
The period should be smaller than one.
$$T=\frac{60\text{s}}{800\text{rev}}=0.075\text{s}$$
Using this period I get the same answer as Lori.
Yeah. I mucked it up first time. Didn't edit it fast enough. :cool:

DaveC426913 said:
Yeah. I mucked it up first time. Didn't edit it fast enough. :cool:

i always mess up with the period too! I have to remember it's the time for one revolution in seconds

Related to Acceleration of a speck around a circle

1. What is the definition of acceleration in circular motion?

In circular motion, acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated for circular motion?

Acceleration in circular motion can be calculated using the equation a = v^2/r, where a is acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the equation a = ω^2r, where ω is the angular velocity.

3. Why does a speck moving in a circle experience acceleration?

A speck moving in a circle experiences acceleration because its velocity is constantly changing due to the change in direction of its motion. Even if the speed of the speck remains constant, its velocity is changing, and therefore it is experiencing acceleration.

4. How does the acceleration of a speck in circular motion change with the radius of the circle?

The acceleration of a speck in circular motion is inversely proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the acceleration decreases, and vice versa. This can be seen in the equation a = v^2/r, where a is inversely proportional to r.

5. Can the acceleration of a speck in circular motion ever be zero?

Yes, the acceleration of a speck in circular motion can be zero at two points: when the speck is at rest and not moving, and when the speck is moving at a constant speed in a straight line. In both of these cases, the velocity is not changing, and therefore the acceleration is zero.