Acceleration of a Falling Object from Average Velocities

In summary, the average acceleration was found to be uniform between 0.1 and 0.5 seconds, however the average velocity was found to be different at different points.
ErinSK

Homework Statement

After gathering data via ticker tape, of a falling object, I had the following information:

Time (s), Displacement (cm)
0.0 - 0.1 , 6.2
0.1 - 0.2 , 16.0
0.2 - 0.3 , 24.5
0.3 - 0.4 , 33.1
0.4 - 0.5 , 43.0
0.5 - 0.6 , 49.7

The Question:

Determine the average acceleration. Is the acceleration due to gravity uniform? Explain your answer using evidence from your investigation.

Homework Equations

Avg. Velocity = Displacement / time

Avg. Acceleration = (Change in Velocity) / time

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the average velocities (cm/s) as 62, 160, 245, 331, 430, 497.

I then calculated average velocity as 725cm/s/s :
Avg. Accel. = (497-62) / 0.6​

I was planning on proving that it is uniform acceleration by calculating the acceleration between two consecutive points however when doing so, I always get an acceleration much less than 725cm/s/s.
Accel. = (331 - 245) / 0.2​
= 430cm/s​

I get something similar with all consecutive points and I don't understand why/ I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
ErinSK said:
I calculated the average velocities (cm/s) as 62, 160, 245, 331, 430, 497.
I assume the object starts at rest. In the first interval the speed goes from 0 to 6.2 cm in 0.1 sec. In the second interval it goes from 6.2 to 16.0 cm in 0.1 sec. What is the average speed in each of those intervals?

I guess I didn't set up my table properly but by displacement I meant the change for that time interval. As in between 0.1 and 0.2 seconds it traveled from 6.2 to 22.2 for a displacement of 16cm.

ErinSK said:
I guess I didn't set up my table properly but by displacement I meant the change for that time interval. As in between 0.1 and 0.2 seconds it traveled from 6.2 to 22.2 for a displacement of 16cm.
That's okay, you should just label it correctly.

ErinSK said:
I then calculated average velocity as 725cm/s/s :
Avg. Accel. = (497-62) / 0.6​
There are only 0.5 seconds between those two measurements.
Accel. = (331 - 245) / 0.2​
= 430cm/s​
And there is only 0.1 seconds between those two measurements.

Try doing for acceleration what you did for velocity: At each point put the change in velocity in the table. You might also want to draw graphs of position, velocity and acceleration with respect to time.

Oh! That makes sense! thank you very much! A few last questions: How would I properly label my chart to indicate the difference in displacement values at each point? Or should I just add them cumulatively to avoid the problem? Also, on a graph I'm assuming the first point would be 0.1sec and 62cm/s even though 62cm/s is the average velocity between 0s and 0.1s. Is this just for simplicity?

ErinSK said:
Oh! That makes sense! thank you very much! A few last questions: How would I properly label my chart to indicate the difference in displacement values at each point?
I'd label them t, dt, dx, x, dv, v, and a.
Or should I just add them cumulatively to avoid the problem?
Sweeping the dust under the rug is not a long-term solution.
Also, on a graph I'm assuming the first point would be 0.1sec and 62cm/s even though 62cm/s is the average velocity between 0s and 0.1s. Is this just for simplicity?
I was assuming it started out at t = 0 with x = 0 and v = 0. Or you could leave out the t = 0 point, if the assumption worries you.

Related to Acceleration of a Falling Object from Average Velocities

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration of a falling object from average velocities?

The formula for calculating acceleration of a falling object from average velocities is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken.

2. How is acceleration of a falling object affected by air resistance?

The acceleration of a falling object is affected by air resistance, as it creates a force that opposes the motion of the object. This means that the object may experience a lower acceleration than expected due to the force of air resistance acting in the opposite direction.

3. Can the acceleration of a falling object change during its fall?

Yes, the acceleration of a falling object can change during its fall. This can happen if there is a change in the forces acting on the object, such as an increase or decrease in air resistance or the force of gravity.

4. How does the mass of a falling object affect its acceleration?

The mass of a falling object does not affect its acceleration. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the mass of the object does not impact its acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the significance of calculating average velocities when determining acceleration of a falling object?

Calculating average velocities is important when determining acceleration of a falling object because it allows for a more accurate understanding of the object's motion. Average velocities take into account the changes in velocity over a specific time period, which can help to account for external factors that may affect the object's acceleration.