Acceleration of a falling Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses a flash photograph of two tennis balls released simultaneously, one projected horizontally and the other dropped from rest. The vertical distance of the dropped ball is given at various time intervals, and the question is asked about its vertical acceleration. The suggested equations are mentioned and a possible solution is proposed. The final answer is estimated to be 8 m/s.
ahrog

Homework Statement

A flash photograph of two tennis balls released simultaneously is taken. One is projected horizontally, and the other one is dropped from rest. The light flashes occur ever 0.2 seconds, and each box represents a distance of 0.4 s (they gave a graph...I can't get it on the computer, but I can get all the other details)

For the vertical ball:
Time (s) l vertical distance (m)
0 l 0
0.2 l 0.1
0.4 l 0.7
0.6 l 1.5
0.8 l 2.6
1.0 l 4.0

What is the vertical acceleration of the tennis ball?

Homework Equations

y= vyt + 1/2gt2
(<an equation my textbook gave me)
v=u+at (<this is an equation someone on this forum gave me)
possibly a=(vf-vi)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to go about this. Any tips would be appreciated! I was thinking that maybe I have to find the velocity using the first equation, then put it into the acceleration formula. If I did that, I would end up with -0.9m/s2.

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the formula [tex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

thus [tex]a=\frac{2(s-ut)}{t^2}[/tex]

where:
s = displacement (vertical position)
u = initial velocity
t = time
a = acceleration (due to gravity)

Using the data for the 1 second flash (longest time from drop) would most likely give you the closest real answer to the gravity. Testing for every interval of data will increase your reliability.

So, I would end up with the answer being 8 m/s, right? C:

Related to Acceleration of a falling Ball

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It describes how quickly the velocity of an object is changing, either in terms of speed or direction.

How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). This means that for every second an object is accelerating, its velocity will increase by 1 meter per second.

What is the acceleration of a falling ball?

The acceleration of a falling ball is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. This is due to the force of gravity acting on the ball. However, the acceleration may vary slightly due to air resistance and other factors.

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, while acceleration is the rate of change of that velocity. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how quickly the object is speeding up or slowing down.

How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration?

The mass of an object does not affect its acceleration in a vacuum (without air resistance). However, in the presence of air resistance, an object with a larger mass may experience a slightly lower acceleration due to the increased force of air resistance acting against it.