Acceleration at the time of throwing a ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnitude of acceleration of a ball thrown straight up in the air. It is debated whether the acceleration is greater while the ball is being thrown or after it is thrown. The use of 1D kinematics and the concept of energy is suggested to understand the acceleration. It is ultimately concluded that the acceleration is greater after the ball is thrown due to the distance over which the acceleration occurs. The conversation also touches on the relationship between acceleration and height, as well as the role of work in determining the acceleration.
Adjoint

Homework Statement

(It's just a simple question.)
A ball is thrown straight up in the air so that it rises to a maximum height much greater than the thrower's height. Is the magnitude of the acceleration greater while it is being thrown or after it is thrown?

Homework Equations

1D kinematics.

The Attempt at a Solution

Magnitude of the acceleration after the ball is thrown is g. But I am having trouble in conceptualizing what is happening when the ball is being thrown. Surely when I am throwing the ball I am giving it acceleration. But how can I tell if it is greater or smaller than g?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a maximum height?

No. They just says much higher than the thrower.

Or any other information? an interval over which the velocity changed from 0 to the velocity it leaves the hand.

Well this is really just a conceptual question. If I exert a force of magnitude mg upwards on the ball, what is the magnitude of the net acceleration of the ball? keep in mind that gravity is still exerting a force on the ball.

Adjoint said:
No. They just says much higher than the thrower.

Try using energy. The kinetic energy put into the ball during the throwing process must be the same as the kinetic energy that is removed from the ball as it rises against gravity, right?

jbriggs444 said:
The kinetic energy put into the ball during the throwing process must be the same as the kinetic energy that is removed from the ball as it rises against gravity, right?

Yes. The kinetic energy reduces. So velocity after the ball is thrown is less than the velocity with which the ball was thrown. But how do I get to acceleration?

I think the question is actually asking if a > g or a < g (where a is the acceleration with which a ball is thrown).
Now how can I tell that if they give no other info?

If you have two masses being accelerated to the same speed v but with different accelerations a1 < a2, which mass travels the furthest before reaching the final velocity?

Adjoint said:
I think the question is actually asking if a > g or a < g (where a is the acceleration with which a ball is thrown).
Now how can I tell that if they give no other info?

You accelerate the ball with acceleration a over a distance comparable with your height.
Due to this acceleration, the ball will have a speed vo.
Then you release the ball and the speed decreases with acceleration g, over a distance much larger than your speed, until the speed becomes zero.

So you have speed going from 0 to vo with a, over d1; and from vo to 0 with g, over d2.
d2>>d1. What can you say about a compared with g?

Likes 1 person
Orodruin said:
If you have two masses being accelerated to the same speed v but with different accelerations a1 < a2, which mass travels the furthest before reaching the final velocity?

As v = at I think I can say if a1 < a2 then to attain same speed v, mass 1 will take longer time.
And by y = 0.5at2, mass 1 will travel further. Right? But maybe not. Because we have a1 < a2.
I am confused.

Note that the time to reach v is also different for the two accelerations.

nasu said:
You accelerate the ball with acceleration a over a distance comparable with your height.
Due to this acceleration, the ball will have a speed vo.
Then you release the ball and the speed decreases with acceleration g, over a distance much larger than your speed, until the speed becomes zero.

So you have speed going from 0 to vo with a, over d1; and from vo to 0 with g, over d2.
d2>>d1. What can you say about a compared with g?

Well Now I understand.
Certainly a > g because a needs a shorter distance than g to cause same change in velocity.

nasu said:

I have to disagree, I can throw a baseball straight up, starting about waist high, and releasing it about arm length above my head, so a distance about 1 meter.

If I throw it like that, it'll probably hit about 15-20 meter's high. I wouldn't say that my distance that I accelerate the ball over is comparable with the height it reaches. (And that's with only little league baseball skills ha!)

There is also an energy argument: the work done by the accelerating forces on the mass has to equal the the negative work done by gravity.

Work done by acceleration: maL, where L is the length of the accelation
Work done by gravity after acceleration: -mgh

Thus gh = aL and since h >> L, a >> g.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I have to disagree, I can throw a baseball straight up, starting about waist high, and releasing it about arm length above my head, so a distance about 1 meter.

If I throw it like that, it'll probably hit about 15-20 meter's high. I wouldn't say that my distance that I accelerate the ball over is comparable with the height it reaches. (And that's with only little league baseball skills ha!)

1 m is comparable with your height. Or average human height.
You can accelerate it over a much shorter distance but you can hardly accelerate it over a distance much larger than your height.

I never said that that the distance you accelerate the ball is comparable with the heigth it reaches. You probably misread my post.

ahhh that I did, sorry nasu.

No worries. :)
I am glad I was able to make clear what I meant.

Related to Acceleration at the time of throwing a ball

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed is changing.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the acceleration at the time of throwing a ball?

The acceleration at the time of throwing a ball depends on various factors such as the initial velocity of the ball, the force applied to the ball, and the air resistance. In most cases, the acceleration at the time of throwing a ball would be equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2.

How does air resistance affect acceleration when throwing a ball?

Air resistance can affect the acceleration of a ball when thrown by slowing down its velocity. This is because the air molecules exert a force on the ball in the opposite direction of its motion, which reduces its acceleration. The effect of air resistance on acceleration is greater for lighter objects with larger surface areas, such as a feather, compared to heavier objects with smaller surface areas, such as a bowling ball.

Is there a maximum acceleration that can be achieved when throwing a ball?

Yes, there is a maximum acceleration that can be achieved when throwing a ball. This is because the acceleration of an object cannot exceed the force applied to it divided by its mass, as stated by Newton's second law of motion. So, the maximum acceleration of a ball thrown by a human would depend on the force that the person can produce and the mass of the ball.