Accelerating an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block on an inclined plane and finding the horizontal acceleration required for the block to not slide down the plane. The problem is broken down into two parts, with friction being neglected in part (a) and considered in part (b). The conversation also touches on the concept of equilibrium and the forces acting on the block. The summary concludes with a request for further assistance and a picture of the problem attached.
syang9
hello,

consider an plane inclined at an angle theta with a block on it. the problem asks me to find a horizontal acceleration such that the block will not slide down the plane.
in part (a), friction is neglected, in part(b), friction is considered.

here is what i have done. i fixed the coordinate system so that the force of the push applied to the inclined plane is in the x-direction.

(a): Fnetx = Fnx (normal force in x direction) + Fp (force of push) = 0
Fnety = Fny + Fg = 0

solving for Fp, i get Fp = Fn(cos(theta)). this seems reasonable, but too easy. have i left something out?

(b): considering friction, i have fixed the coordinate system as in part a.

Fnetx = Fp + Fnx -Ffx (force of friction in x direction) = 0
Fnety = Fg + Ffy +Fny = 0

solving for Fp, i get Fp = -Fn(sin(theta))*(1-μs) (μs = coefficient of static friction) however, there should be a minimum and a maximum force.. the minimum force is with maximum friction, and the maximum force is the force that force that is on the verge of accelerating the block in the negative x direction. or am i wrong? have i left something out? i am pretty sure i have.

any help is greatly appreciated. (i have attached a picture of the problem)

Attachments

• planeproblem.JPG
    planeproblem.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
syang9 said:
here is what i have done. i fixed the coordinate system so that the force of the push applied to the inclined plane is in the x-direction.

(a): Fnetx = Fnx (normal force in x direction) + Fp (force of push) = 0
Fnety = Fny + Fg = 0

solving for Fp, i get Fp = Fn(cos(theta)). this seems reasonable, but too easy. have i left something out?
I assume you are analyzing the forces on the block. If so, two comments:
(1) The only forces acting on the block are weight and the normal force. What do you mean by Fp? (Note that the question asks for the acceleration, not the force on the plane that would produce such acceleration. Although once you have "a", it's easy to find "F".)

(2) Why do you assume equilibrium in the horizontal direction? After all, the question asks for the acceleration.​

Hint: If the block doesn't slide down the plane it must be in vertical equilibrium.

I would like to offer some insights and suggestions regarding your approach to this problem.

Firstly, your approach to solving the problem without friction seems reasonable. However, it is important to note that in real-world scenarios, friction is almost always present and cannot be neglected. Therefore, it is important to consider the effects of friction in your calculations.

In part (b), you have correctly considered the effects of friction. However, it is important to note that the coefficient of static friction, μs, is not a constant value and can vary depending on the materials involved. Additionally, the minimum and maximum forces you mentioned are not necessarily related to the coefficient of friction. The minimum force required to prevent the block from sliding down the plane will depend on the angle of inclination and the weight of the block, while the maximum force that can be applied before the block starts sliding will depend on the coefficient of friction.

To determine the minimum and maximum forces, you can use the equations for equilibrium in the x and y directions, as you have done in part (b). However, instead of solving for Fp, you can solve for the maximum and minimum values of Fp that satisfy the equations. This will give you a range of forces that can be applied without causing the block to slide.

Additionally, I would recommend using a free-body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the block and the inclined plane. This can help you better understand the problem and can also serve as a useful tool for double-checking your calculations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem-solving! Remember, as a scientist, it is important to always consider all factors and to continuously refine your approach as new information is gathered.

Related to Accelerating an inclined plane

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect acceleration?

The angle of the inclined plane affects acceleration by changing the vertical and horizontal components of the force acting on an object. The steeper the angle, the greater the vertical component of the force, resulting in a faster rate of acceleration.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of an object and its acceleration on an inclined plane?

The mass of an object has a direct relationship with its acceleration on an inclined plane. The greater the mass, the more force is needed to overcome its weight and accelerate it, resulting in a slower rate of acceleration.

3. How does friction impact acceleration on an inclined plane?

Friction acts in the opposite direction to the motion of an object on an inclined plane, slowing down its acceleration. The rougher the surface of the plane, the greater the friction and the slower the acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane?

Apart from the angle of the plane and the mass of the object, other factors that can affect acceleration include the presence of air resistance, the surface of the plane, and the shape and size of the object.

5. Can an object accelerate downwards on an inclined plane?

Yes, an object can accelerate downwards on an inclined plane if it is being pulled by a force greater than its weight. This is known as negative acceleration or deceleration. However, the angle of the plane must be steep enough to overcome the force of gravity.