Accelerated Honors vs Normal Calculus

In summary, the individual is considering retaking calculus in a more proof-based mathematics course. They received a 3.0 in Calc 1 and 2.4 in Calc 2 in high school, but did not apply themselves as much as they should have. They are also planning to take a physics and philosophy course and are determined to do well in college. It is suggested that starting over in a proof-based calculus course is a good idea, as long as the individual is willing to put in the necessary work and dedication. This approach may even help them better understand the material.
Domn
Hello everyone. I've been looking into joining my university's honors calculus course. I graduated high school with Calc 1, and Calc 2 completed, but I didn't do too well because, I didn't apply myself as much as I should have (senioritis). I received a 3.0 in Calc 1, and a 2.4 in Calc 2. Do you think it would be a good idea to start calculus over next year in a more proof based mathematics course? I will also be taking Physics 121L (first course in physics sequence), and an upper level philosophy course.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really want to do well in college, and I know that I am not the best at math, but I'm willing to put in the work.It is certainly possible to start over in a more proof-based calculus course. It is important to keep in mind that any math course will require a great deal of work and dedication, as well as a good understanding of the material. That being said, if you are willing to put in the time and effort, it is certainly worth considering taking the honors calculus course. You may even find that tackling mathematics from a more proof-based approach helps you to better understand the material. Good luck!

Related to Accelerated Honors vs Normal Calculus

1. What is the difference between Accelerated Honors and Normal Calculus?

Accelerated Honors Calculus is a math course designed for advanced students who have a strong foundation in algebra and geometry. It covers the same material as Normal Calculus, but at a faster pace and with more challenging assignments.

2. Who should take Accelerated Honors Calculus?

Accelerated Honors Calculus is typically recommended for students who have a strong interest and aptitude in math, and who plan on pursuing a career in a math-related field such as engineering, physics, or computer science. It is also a good option for students who have completed advanced math courses in high school and want to continue challenging themselves in college.

3. Will taking Accelerated Honors Calculus give me an advantage in college?

While taking Accelerated Honors Calculus can be beneficial for college applications and may give students a head start in their college math courses, it is not a guarantee for success. The most important factor in succeeding in calculus is a strong understanding of the material, regardless of whether it was taken as an accelerated course or not.

4. Is Accelerated Honors Calculus more difficult than Normal Calculus?

Yes, Accelerated Honors Calculus is generally more challenging than Normal Calculus. The pace is faster, the material is more advanced, and the assignments may be more difficult. However, for students who have a strong foundation in math, the challenge can be rewarding and can lead to a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. How can I determine if I am ready for Accelerated Honors Calculus?

If you are interested in taking Accelerated Honors Calculus, it is important to assess your current math skills and see if they align with the prerequisites for the course. Talk to your high school math teacher or a college advisor to get their opinion on whether you are prepared for the faster pace and more challenging material. It is also helpful to review the course syllabus and past exams to get an idea of what to expect.