Academic concerns. how rigorous should it be

In summary, freshman physics is significantly more challenging than AP physics, especially for those majoring in the subject. While calculus is only briefly used in AP physics, it is heavily utilized in college physics courses. The focus in freshman physics is on developing an understanding of energy, work, and momentum, which are essential concepts in the field. As for preparing for these courses, it is recommended to start with a strong understanding of calculus before moving on to advanced topics like analysis and algebra.
lolgarithms
how is freshman physics different from ap physics? i hear that physics at freshman year is a lot harder than ap physics.

also i know calculus, although not rigorously. kinda "for dummies" level, where derivative is "instantaneous rate of change", etc. i know how the definitions work, but still.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, Freshman Physics (for majors of course) is much more difficult than AP Physics. Calculus in AP Physics is used very minimally, but used extensively in college. Solving simple block-and-rope type problems get's about a weeks attention and solving projectile motion problems maybe a day (if that). You'll spend much more time in developing concepts of energy and work, as well as momentum, and their usefulness will become very apparent. It's all a blast though -- if you like physics.

also should i start the rigorous training beginning with calculus or with analysis/algebra

Related to Academic concerns. how rigorous should it be

1. What does it mean for an academic study to be "rigorous"?

Rigor in academic studies refers to the level of thoroughness, precision, and accuracy in the research and data analysis. It involves following a systematic and logical approach to ensure the validity and reliability of the findings.

2. How do I determine the appropriate level of rigor for my academic study?

The appropriate level of rigor for an academic study depends on various factors such as the research question, methodology, and sample size. It is essential to consult with your advisor or peers in your field to determine the appropriate level of rigor for your specific study.

3. Can an academic study be too rigorous?

Yes, an academic study can be too rigorous, which can lead to excessive data collection and analysis, making the study overly complicated and time-consuming. It is important to strike a balance between rigor and feasibility to ensure the study can be completed within a reasonable timeframe.

4. What are the consequences of not having enough rigor in an academic study?

Not having enough rigor in an academic study can lead to biased or incorrect conclusions, which can undermine the credibility and validity of the research. It can also result in the rejection of the study by peer reviewers or journals.

5. How can I maintain rigor in my academic study?

To maintain rigor in an academic study, it is crucial to adhere to a structured and transparent methodology, use appropriate data collection and analysis techniques, and critically evaluate the limitations of the study. Additionally, seeking feedback from peers and experts in the field can help identify and address any potential issues with the rigor of the study.