!AC Generator Current: Mathematical Expression in Time Domain

In summary, we discussed a simple alternating current generator, specifically Hippolyte Pixii's dynamo, and its output of a simple oscillating cosine signal with a maximum current of (2/pi)0.5 amperes and a characteristic angular frequency ω0. We then derived a mathematical expression for the time-domain signal, y(t) = sqrt(2/pi) cos (w_o x t), taking into account that the magnet was already spinning at the beginning of observation. Finally, we explored the Fourier transform of the equation, \sqrt{2 /pi}\cdot\frac{\delta(\omega-a)+\delta(\omega+a)}{2}\,.
f77126
Consider a simple alternating current generator such as Hippolyte Pixii's dynamo. The current generated by such dynamo can be described as simple oscillating cosine signal. Assuming for simplicity that the max current generated each time a pole of Pixii's magnet passed the coil is (2/pi)0.5 amperes and that the magnet rotate with a characteristic angular frequency ω0.

Write the mathmatical expression for the time-domain signal (current vs. time) from such AC generator. For simplicity, assume that the magnet was already spinning at the beginning of the observation and the magnet's poled happened to be just below the coils at time zero.

I am not really sure how to start, I just need know that I need something relate current with time and equation should have cosine.
Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You are told that it is a "simple oscillating cosine" with amplitude (2/pi)0.5Amp and angular frequency [itex]\omega_0[/itex]...Surely you can think of an expression for that.

so i think i fiqured out the first part, I'm not to sure. the mathematical expression should be y(t)= sqrt(2/pi) cos (w_o x t). Usually theta would be in the equation but because the magnet is already spinning, there is no initial phase, therefore you leave the theta our of the equation.

then for the second part, when you draw the graph from 0 to 10 seconds, there should be 4 full wavelengths. you start your graph at (0,-1) and at 1 second (180 degrees, n) you should have passed (1,1), and at 360 degrees, which is 2 seconds at 2n, you should have gotten (2,-1). not sure about this tho

i'm not about how to start the three part. Could the Fourier transform of the equation be\sqrt{2 /pi}\cdot\frac{\delta(\omega-a)+\delta(\omega+a)}{2}\,. I have no clue!

so i think i fiqured out the first part, I'm not to sure. the mathematical expression should be y(t)= sqrt(2/pi) cos (w_o x t). Usually theta would be in the equation but because the magnet is already spinning, there is no initial phase, therefore you leave the theta our of the equation.

then for the second part, when you draw the graph from 0 to 10 seconds, there should be 4 full wavelengths. you start your graph at (0,-1) and at 1 second (180 degrees, n) you should have passed (1,1), and at 360 degrees, which is 2 seconds at 2n, you should have gotten (2,-1). not sure about this tho

i'm not about how to start the three part. Could the Fourier transform of the equation be\sqrt{2 /pi}\cdot\frac{\delta(\omega-a)+\delta(\omega+a)}{2}\,. I have no clue!

Related to !AC Generator Current: Mathematical Expression in Time Domain

1. What is the mathematical expression for AC generator current in the time domain?

The mathematical expression for AC generator current in the time domain is given by I(t) = Imax * sin(ωt + φ), where Imax is the maximum current amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the phase angle.

2. How is the frequency of the current related to the speed of the AC generator?

The frequency of the current is directly proportional to the speed of the AC generator. This means that as the speed of the generator increases, the frequency of the current also increases.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of the AC generator current?

The amplitude of the AC generator current can be affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the generator's coils, and the speed of the generator.

4. Can the phase angle of the AC generator current be changed?

Yes, the phase angle of the AC generator current can be changed by adjusting the position of the rotor or by using external devices such as capacitors or inductors.

5. How does the mathematical expression for AC generator current in the time domain differ from that of DC current?

The main difference between the mathematical expressions for AC generator current and DC current is that the AC current expression includes a time-varying component, while the DC current expression is constant over time. Additionally, the AC current expression includes a phase angle, which is not present in the DC current expression.