Magnetic Field of an AC generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of magnetic fields in an AC generator and the contradiction between the sinusoidal waveform of AC and the concave poles commonly shown in textbooks. It is explained that while the concave poles do produce a square-ish wave, the emphasis is on the change in polarity as the coil rotates. To create a sinusoidal waveform, modifications such as flat pole faces and a parallel magnetic field can be used.
Zahid Iftikhar
Hi
Please help me in understanding the kind the magnetic field used in an AC generator. Most of the figures (one shown in attached file) are shown with concave poles. Hence the field has to be radial. In such a field the angle between plane of coil and the magnetic field remains zero all the time (as in case of galvanometer), so the induced emf will remains maximum and constant.
This contradicts with the waveform of AC which is a sine wave. It is possible only with plane pole faces. Please guide me on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zahid Iftikhar said:
Most of the figures (one shown in attached file)
You forgot the file...

Use the UPLOAD button, down beside POST REPLY and PREVIEW to add pictures to a post.

I can give you a partial answer without any figures.

Zahid Iftikhar said:
This contradicts with the waveform of AC which is a sine wave.

An AC signal is just one example of a time-varying DC signal. Ohm's law and Maxwell's Equations apply instantaneously. When you look at one instant of time, there is no difference between AC and DC.

I am really sorry I forgot adding the file. Please have it right now.

Attachments

• AC generator.png
    AC generator.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,003
anorlunda said:
I can give you a partial answer without any figures.

An AC signal is just one example of a time-varying DC signal. Ohm's law and Maxwell's Equations apply instantaneously. When you look at one instant of time, there is no difference between AC and DC.
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you. I am actually worried about the figure shown in most of the books which shows concave poles of AC generator. I wonder how a sinusoidal voltage is produced in the presence of a radial magnetic field which concave poles must produce. Pl reply. Thanks once again.

Zahid Iftikhar said:
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you. I am actually worried about the figure shown in most of the books which shows concave poles of AC generator. I wonder how a sinusoidal voltage is produced in the presence of a radial magnetic field which concave poles must produce. Pl reply. Thanks once again.
The concave pole generator indeed produces a square-ish wave, but I believe what the books want to emphasize is how the polarity of the voltage changes as the coil rotates through 180 degrees. This is why it is called an 'alternator', the one which produces an alternating (not necessarily sinusoidal) voltage . To make this ac voltage sinusoidal, several modifications are needed in this model. You can look up a practical ac alternator and see how they shape the rotor, how they arrange the windings and how they adjust the air gap to make the waveform as sinusoidal as possible.

cnh1995 said:
The concave pole generator indeed produces a square-ish wave, but I believe what the books want to emphasize is how the polarity of the voltage changes as the coil rotates through 180 degrees. This is why it is called an 'alternator', the one which produces an alternating (not necessarily sinusoidal) voltage . To make this ac voltage sinusoidal, several modifications are needed in this model. You can look up a practical ac alternator and see how they shape the rotor, how they arrange the windings and how they adjust the air gap to make the waveform as sinusoidal as possible.
Thank you very much indeed for the answer. I got your point. May we use plane pole faces and parallel magnetic field to produce sinusoidal voltage?

Zahid Iftikhar said:
Thank you very much indeed for the answer. I got your point. May we use plane pole faces and parallel magnetic field to produce sinusoidal voltage?
Yes, flat pole faces will create a sinusoidal ac voltage here.

Related to Magnetic Field of an AC generator

What is the magnetic field of an AC generator?

The magnetic field of an AC generator is a changing magnetic field that is produced when the generator is in operation. It is the result of the interaction between the rotating magnetic field of the rotor and the stationary magnetic field of the stator.

How is the magnetic field created in an AC generator?

The magnetic field in an AC generator is created by passing an electrical current through a coil of wire, called the rotor, which is surrounded by a stationary set of magnets, called the stator. As the rotor rotates, the changing magnetic field induces an alternating current in the stator windings.

What is the direction of the magnetic field in an AC generator?

The direction of the magnetic field in an AC generator is constantly changing due to the rotation of the rotor. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the electrical current flowing through the rotor and the orientation of the magnets in the stator.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in an AC generator?

The strength of the magnetic field in an AC generator is affected by the number of turns in the rotor and stator windings, the amount of current passing through the rotor, the speed of rotation, and the size and strength of the magnets in the stator.

What are the applications of the magnetic field in an AC generator?

The magnetic field in an AC generator is used to generate electricity in power plants, as well as in smaller generators for backup power and portable power. It is also used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in motors, turbines, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.