AC current, conceptual question, the difference between Iaverage and Irms?

In summary, the difference between Iaverage and Irms for a rectified and non-rectified AC circuit lies in the method of calculation. While Iaverage measures the area under the curve of the absolute value of the waveform, Irms calculates the root mean square of the squared function. This results in different values, with Iaverage being equal to (2/π)Imax and Irms being equal to (1/√2)Imax.
connor02

Homework Statement

This is more of a conceptual problem I'm having difficulty getting my head around.

What is the difference between Iaverage and Irms for a rectified and non rectified AC circuit?

I know Iaverage=(2/π)Imax while Irms=(1/√2)Imax but I don't understand why they are different given that both are essentially measuring the area under the same curve, rectified or not.

Homework Equations

Iaverage=(2/π)Imax and Irms=(1/√2)Imax

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why they are different given that both are essentially measuring the area under the same curve.

Physics news on Phys.org
connor02 said:
I don't understand why they are different given that both are essentially measuring the area under the same curve.
Boldface mine.

Not the same curve.

In the average power, we integrate the absolute value of the waveform to find the area under the curve. Then we divide that by the integration time.

[tex] I_{ave} = {\frac{\int_0^T | \sin \left(\frac{2 \pi}{T}t \right) | dt}{T}} [/tex]

We can get rid of the absolute value by noting that second half of the period is just the negative of the first (before the absolute value), thus we really only have to integrate over the first half, and divide by the first half.

[tex] I_{ave} = {\frac{\int_0^{T/2} \sin \left(\frac{2 \pi}{T}t \right) dt}{T/2}} [/tex]

RMS current is quite a bit different though. RMS (root mean square) is exactly what it sounds like. First we square the function. Then we take the mean (same method that we did for the average except this time we start with the signal's square -- and because of the square, we know it will always be positive so we don't need to worry about the absolute value). Finally, we take the square root of the whole thing.

[tex] I_{rms} = \sqrt{\frac{\int_0^T \sin^2 \left(\frac{2 \pi}{T}t \right) dt}{T}} [/tex]

Ah I see. it makes sense now. I overlooked that it is root mean square and not mean root square so you that the mean of the square value and not the square root of the square values. TY!

Related to AC current, conceptual question, the difference between Iaverage and Irms?

1. What is AC current?

AC current, or alternating current, is an electrical current that constantly changes direction. It is the type of current that is commonly used in our homes and businesses.

2. How is AC current different from DC current?

The main difference between AC and DC current is the direction of flow. AC current changes direction periodically, while DC current flows in one direction continuously.

3. What is the conceptual understanding of AC current?

The concept of AC current is based on the principles of electromagnetism, where a changing magnetic field induces an electrical current in a conductor.

4. What is the difference between Iaverage and Irms?

Iaverage, or average current, is the average value of the current over a given time period. Irms, or root mean square current, is the effective or equivalent value of the current. It takes into account the changing direction of AC current and is a more accurate measure of the current's strength.

5. How is AC current measured?

AC current is measured using an ammeter, which measures the flow of electric charge in a circuit. The ammeter measures the current in amperes (A) and can be used to measure both Iaverage and Irms.