Abstract questions about PDEs with respect to Seperation of Variables

In summary: Separation of variables is one of them, and it's usually worth a try because it can lead to relatively simple solutions.
trap101
I have two more loosely based questions about PDEs and the separation of variables technique:

In the intro of this chapter the author imposed that we "assume" the the solution to a set of special PDEs is:

U(x,t) = X(x)T(t) where X and T are the eigenfunctions. My question is how did they derive that this form would work? I mean working from that equation you see it works, but how did they even conjure up the direction in which to go to arrive at that? This is my first PDE course so maybe that is above my pay grade and I should worry about that after.

The second question was how do I know that separation of variables is the right technique to use when solving a question, if I have other techniques to use?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
I have two more loosely based questions about PDEs and the separation of variables technique:

In the intro of this chapter the author imposed that we "assume" the the solution to a set of special PDEs is:

U(x,t) = X(x)T(t) where X and T are the eigenfunctions. My question is how did they derive that this form would work? I mean working from that equation you see it works, but how did they even conjure up the direction in which to go to arrive at that? This is my first PDE course so maybe that is above my pay grade and I should worry about that after.

The second question was how do I know that separation of variables is the right technique to use when solving a question, if I have other techniques to use?

Thanks

In fact, most of the time separation of variables doesn't work. But since it does work sometimes, and is relatively simple to do, it is usually worth a try. The thinking is as follows:

(1) Assume there is a solution that meets U(x,t) = X(x)T(t) .
(2) Convert the PDE to ODE's for X and T.
(3) Solve the ODE's for X and T.

If you can simultaneously solve the ODE's for X and T, then U is a solution to the original PDE. If you can't (usually you can't), then separation of variables didn't work and you have to try another method.

There is no general solution for solving PDE's, but a large number of techniques known to work in certain cases.

Related to Abstract questions about PDEs with respect to Seperation of Variables

1. What is Separation of Variables in PDEs?

Separation of Variables is a method used in solving Partial Differential Equations (PDEs) where the solution is expressed as a product of two or more functions, each of which depends on only one independent variable.

2. Why is Separation of Variables important in solving PDEs?

Separation of Variables is important because it simplifies the solution of a PDE into a series of ordinary differential equations, which are generally easier to solve. It also allows for the reduction of a higher order PDE into a system of lower order PDEs, making it more manageable to solve.

3. What types of PDEs can be solved using Separation of Variables?

Separation of Variables is most commonly used in solving linear PDEs, specifically those that are homogeneous and have constant coefficients. It can also be applied to some non-linear PDEs with certain conditions.

4. What are the steps involved in using Separation of Variables to solve a PDE?

The steps involved in using Separation of Variables are: 1) Assuming a solution in the form of a product of functions, 2) Substituting the assumed solution into the PDE and separating the variables, 3) Solving the resulting ordinary differential equations, and 4) Applying boundary conditions to determine the specific solution.

5. What are the limitations of using Separation of Variables in solving PDEs?

Separation of Variables is limited to certain types of PDEs and may not always result in a solution. It also may not be applicable to non-linear PDEs or those with variable coefficients. In addition, the method may not work for all boundary conditions, and alternative methods may need to be used.