Abstract Algebra vs Number Theory?

In summary: However, this foundation is essential for understanding more advanced concepts in the subject. In cryptography, abstract algebra is used to understand the mathematics behind secure communication. By understanding how to manipulate abstract structures, cryptographers are able to develop more secure methods for exchanging information.
MathWarrior
I was wondering if one wanted to pursue learning more about cryptography which of these classes would be the most important? Number theory of abstract algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
Number theory of abstract algebra <-- should read number theory or abstract algebra.

Can't you do both? Both are quite important for crypto I think. Anyway, if you end up picking one, then I'd really suggest studying the other one too in your free time...

Just take a course in abstract algebra, most number theory concepts come much easier if you can operate within a group. Many ugly proofs in number theory become quite nice if you know group theory.

That said, it's not like you're in any real rush. An graduate-level intro course in cryptography won't require more than the absolute basics. Probably just legendre symbols and basic modular arithmetic.

I'd have to agree, I'd take the abstract algebra course. Abstract really helps open the doors to much the higher mathematics as well.

I'd also say that abstract algebra is more important in general. Perhaps you should consider picking up a Number Theory book and doing some self-study. I don't think Number Theory is terribly difficult to learn if you know how to write proofs and knowledge of it might help you in algebra.

If you do want to learn Number Theory, I'd recommend the Jones and Jones book. It's well-written and affordable. Plus, it gives solutions to all the problems, so you can work through the points at which you get stuck more easily. I've had a good time with it.

What do you learn in abstract algebra? Is it like normal algebra? How is it used in cryptography?

MathWarrior said:
What do you learn in abstract algebra? Is it like normal algebra? How is it used in cryptography?

Generally abstract algebra courses cover group theory, homomorphisms and isomorphisms, ring theory, field theory, and Galois theory. Basically, it introduces algebraic structures and explores solutions to polynomial equations. Of course, a first course generally won't cover anything beyond some ring theory.

Related to Abstract Algebra vs Number Theory?

1. What is the difference between Abstract Algebra and Number Theory?

Abstract Algebra and Number Theory are both branches of mathematics that deal with abstract structures and numbers, respectively. However, Abstract Algebra focuses on the study of algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, whereas Number Theory focuses on the properties of integers and their relationships with other numbers.

2. Which one is more useful in real-life applications?

Abstract Algebra has many practical applications, such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. Number Theory, on the other hand, has applications in cryptography, coding theory, and number theory-based algorithms. Therefore, both fields have real-life applications, but it ultimately depends on the specific problem or situation.

3. Can they be studied independently or are they interrelated?

Abstract Algebra and Number Theory are interrelated in many ways. For example, some concepts in Abstract Algebra, such as modular arithmetic and prime factorization, have applications in Number Theory. However, they can also be studied independently, as they have their own distinct theories and techniques.

4. Which one is considered more advanced or difficult?

Both Abstract Algebra and Number Theory are considered advanced branches of mathematics and can be challenging to study. However, some may argue that Abstract Algebra is more difficult due to its abstract nature and the complexity of its concepts and proofs.

5. Are there any prerequisites for studying Abstract Algebra or Number Theory?

A good understanding of basic algebra and number theory concepts is essential for studying both Abstract Algebra and Number Theory. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematical proofs and logic. Additionally, some knowledge of other branches of mathematics, such as calculus and linear algebra, may also be beneficial.